Help!!!

I'm1chickencuddler

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 31, 2011
I illegally have 22 chickens. The zoning inspector just left my house and told me I have 30 days to get my girls out of the neighborhood. Can someone please advise me on what to do or how to not have that happen? I am near hysterics and trying to remain calm. Getting rid of them is not an option and I don't want to come home one day to find they have been taken. Please advise. Thank you. I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I do not live in an agricultural zone.

I have a farm in Ga that has power lines that cut through it. They are the main line, those large metal towers with all of the lines, usually you can see them from the road because they have to clear cut 50 ft. in either directions. Anyway you cannot build any "permanent" structures like a house or anything in this area. You can however garden and keep livestock...even build a chicken house. Some people will rent this property out to gardeners and people who want to keep small flocks of animals. The property is usually under $100 a month because of its limited use and low effective tax rate. I would say put a post on craigslist that you are looking to rent some power line property to keep a flock of chickens. I think you can also rent line property from the gov't in some spots that they personally own I saw something about it on a urban farming documentary. I hope you can find some in Va. we have a fair amount here in Ga. and I see posts for it for rent on CL occasionally. Hope this helps you out.

Not bad at all! I appreciate all the good will for my chickens. If you know ANYBODY in Virginia Beach, let them know we are going to the next city council meeting and could use all the people backing we can get. Andy of the chicken whisperer told me not to show up alone because I will end up with the reputation of the crazy chicken lady. He told me if I don't get it passed at first....keep showing up with the larger the group the better! Please post it on facebook, myspace, email contacts......where ever it will get out there! THANK YOU for your support!

When is the next council meeting? I'm in MD, not that close to VA Beach but, not that far either. I would be interested in attending just to be another body in support. Eventually, enough people in my area (AA County) are hopefully, going to join together and make this stand as well. I know there are quite a few of us in my town that have chickens and are not supposed to. Happy to be under the radar for now. I just don't see how when my neighbors to the left have a dog that will bite you (small dog) and my neighbors to the right have 4 badger hounds that make a racket that you wouldn't believe. I don't mind. I like both of my neighbors. But, my perfectly friendly, quiet hens that stay in their OWN yard and provide food and enjoyment for my family ARE NOT LEGAL!! Ok, got off on a tangent there. . . Let me (us) know when you need some support and hopefully it will be a time when I can get down there. Good luck!!

Is there someone that can take them in while you fight the zoning board? Legal matters can be quite lengthy.

Possibly. I don't even know what to do with the zoning board. I don't know even what step one is. That is the help I am looking for. I have a friend with a horse farm that may be able to take them if need be but who do I contact and how do I fight. The lady that came out kept saying there is nothing I can do. I do not accept "nothing I can do". There must be something.

#1. Did you check locale ordinances and zoning before purchasing or bringing in birds?

#2. What exactly do the local codes say? Did the inspector give you a citation listing the specific code or codes you are violating? Or simply a verbal statement?

#3. Where do your birds live? (In house, in garage, in a coop in a fenced yard, etc.). How large is your property? How close to neighbors are your birds? What do your neighbors think of them?

#4. Research the process for getting a variance that would allow you to keep your birds.

In our town a child began the process of getting the ordinance changed. She was able to keep her birds during the process, but just because that was allowed here, doesn't mean it will happen there. Call some folks on your city council and ask what kind of paperwork you need to fill out to start the process to change the ordinance.

#1. Did you check locale ordinances and zoning before purchasing or bringing in birds?

#2. What exactly do the local codes say? Did the inspector give you a citation listing the specific code or codes you are violating? Or simply a verbal statement?

#3. Where do your birds live? (In house, in garage, in a coop in a fenced yard, etc.). How large is your property? How close to neighbors are your birds? What do your neighbors think of them?

#4. Research the process for getting a variance that would allow you to keep your birds.

This is a good place to start, you need to educate yourself before you tackle the problem at hand. Slow down and take a deep breath. You have 30 days. Its not a lot of time but time enough.
I would add to the questions above...What incited the zoning inspector to come to your place? Were there any complaints?

You need to know exactly what the ordinances are in your city. They are usually posted online but can be a bit frustrating to find. I've seen some ordinances that prohibit poultry unless they are show birds and often wondered if you entered a chicken in a chicken show if that got you off the hook. I've also seen exceptions for kids in 4H. Do you have kids? Anyway, the law is the law, and you are stuck in the short term. Did you make one of your neighbors mad? Usually someone has turned you in. Was your coop visible from the street or your neighbors house? Did you have a rooster waking people up? I ask all these questions because chickens are illegal where I live. I've asked all my neighbors if they would mind if I got a few and they all say it's fine. But of course, it's not a problem until there's a problem. I hope you find a way around this. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom