1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nightfeather, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Nightfeather

Nightfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    I am incubating chicks for the frist time ever. they should be hathing in 10 Days, and i need to know how to take care of them. When i got chicks in the past i would just give them to a broody hen. Right now i have no broody hen to take care of them. is there a way i can get one of my hens broody and if not how to i raise the chicks?

2. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    No, I don't believe it is possible to "get a hen broody." You should look in the "Raising Baby Chicks" section of the learning center to find out how to bring them up (www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-baby-chicks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens). You should be prepared (at least) with chick food, a chick feeder and waterer, a safe, enclosed (but ventilated) brooder for them to live in, and a heat lamp. Make sure they know where the water and food is. You can judge how close/far to have the heat lamp by how comfortable they seem to be, in terms of temperature. That's about a 30-second version of raising chicks--like I said, they've got much more detail on that page.
    Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Nightfeather

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    I need to know to where can i find a heat lamp??????

[​IMG]

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Tractor supply, or any farm store or lowes or homedepot. I suggest you start reading and searching info on how to raise chicks.

1 person likes this.
  5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    TSC, elevator, co-op, make sure its not the shatterproof variety. If you are going to brood them inside, you can probably use a 100watt light bulb ( if you can find one). The temp under the bulb needs to be steady at 95ยบ for the first week. Depending on the number of chicks, a cardboard box works well for a brooder.

6. Nightfeather

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    Some websites say that you should put wood shavings at the bottom of the brooder. but there are some websites that say wood shavings can make their feathers to fall out what should i use for the bottom of the brooder i don"t want news papper

7. Nightfeather

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    I will be raising them in my hose. would they be ok just in the hose with out a heat lamp? and if they are in the house what kind of heat light would be good for inside the house?????

8. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    1 person likes this.
  9. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    You can start them on pine shavings, covered with paper towels (to keep them from eating them), and transition them to just shavings when they are a few days to a week old (old enough to know better). A 100-watt INCANDESCENT bulb in with a reflector (like below) will probably be fine for raising them indoors; again you will have to watch them to determine their temperature comfort level. I recommend you do some reading on one of the websites that have been mentioned. [​IMG] Chicks, like all babies, are a lot of work.
    [​IMG]

10. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    If your house temp is 90-95 deg its ok, But beings its probably not You will have to supplement heat with heat lamp or just a regular light bulb probably 100w
    close enough to the area there bodies are in.to get 90 to 95 the fst week then 85-90 sec week etc...If its too cool they will bunch up as close to light as they can get it too hot they will try to get away and be on edges .Just right they will be somewhere in between eating drinking or goofing off .So watch them they will tel ll you....cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by