HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken George, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Chicken George

Chicken George Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    I have a four seven week old chicks in my brooder, Everyday I pick them up and take them outside. All of a sudden they went feral. Does any body know why? Any advice will help thank you [​IMG]

2. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feral, as in running around looking for food in all areas of your yard? Whoo hoo, freedom and adventure! I hope they are safe from predators in your area. Chickens come home to roost, but if they have been in a brooder, they might not know where to come home to. Perhaps you could set a box on it's side, put food and water in it, and watch for their return. If you have some yummy treats (mealworms or such) you might be able to get their attention.

3. Chicken George

Feb 25, 2012
    They run to me and peck me its funny but annoying. I can't grab them to put them in their brooder because they peck me.

4. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, so they didn't run away. They are just enjoying their freedom. I'd keep an eye on them and eventually they will get tired and want to take a nap. Chasing chickens never works, but you might be able to herd them into a safe confined area and wait for them to settle down.

5. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Maybe gloves would help if they are in pecking mode.

6. Chicken George

Feb 25, 2012
    Thanks you guys I'll try your ideas tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by