1. aquagem51

aquagem51 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Found one of my golden buffs 3 yrs old dead this am. she looks fine except for the fact that she is dead. My husband noticed yesterday she had white stuff coming from her mouth. I looked on some other chickens and a couple seem to have scabs on their combs. One in particular that I got from a friends flock that was just added. The comb is off to the side and riddled with scabby marks. WHAT SHOULD I DO????

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Where are you (general area?) Usually scabs on combs are either pecking or fowl pox, which is carried by mosquitoes. What is their coop / run / range like?

3. aquagem51

aquagem51 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Im in Orange County, NY about 1 hr 30min from NYC...We just recently cleaned the coop after the winter so instead was just cleaned. The run was somewhat damp from rain/snow melt etc. not for long..there were some days it got very muddy though. the one who has the marks was a new bird to the flock so thats what I thought. Should I seperate her out? Im obviously not eating any eggs from there...anything else I can do?

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I personally wouldn't separate at this point, so as not to mess with flock dynamics any more. Quarantine should have been done before you put the new bird with the flock, but if she brought some disease, the others have already been exposed.

I would do some research and see if I could come up with a reasonable theory of the hen's cause of death. In the future, you could have a necropsy done, usually available for free or a minimal fee from the state vet, but you have to know how to handle the body. I think some even require the bird be alive.

Coccidiosis is usually a disease of young chicks, but mature birds can get it, especially if the ground is wet, and if it is prevalent in your area. Botulismm comes to mind, too. Any chance the feed has molded? Do they have access to compost? I'm just guessing, certainly no expert, and I'm surethere are others here who could contribute more. Good luck!

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by