Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ashleyvp918, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Ashleyvp918

Ashleyvp918 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Ok so 5 days ago I got a Pekin duckling and I know pretty much nothing about it. How can I tell how old it is? And there is something above its tail feathers its hard and yellow. Why is it?

2. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    How big it is? Picture? Where did you get it? If it is right above its tail feathers it could be its oil glad that is is going to use to oil its new to come feather so it can swim....what are you feeding it?!

3. Ashleyvp918

Mar 21, 2012
    [​IMG]this is when i got it. friday

4. Ashleyvp918

Mar 21, 2012
    [​IMG]this is what my daughter did to its feet. will it be ok?

5. Ashleyvp918

Mar 21, 2012
    [​IMG]this is the thing above its tail feathers

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Did she step on it, grab its feet? Keep a close watch on it, and as you know now, the duckling is off limits for your daughter until she learns how to handle them. Looks like broken blood vessels. Give the duckling daily swims (twice a day if possible, for five to ten minutes, then take her or him to a warm, clean, dry brooder and if she or he doesn't begin to preen right away, dry him or her off with a dry washcloth) in warm water - about 85 degrees F and just up to the belly deep, with constant supervision. Watch to make sure the feet heal up, which may take a while. Is the duckling limping? It would be good to give poultry vitamins, too, perhaps at half strength once a week. I understand things happen, so thanks for posting here to get advice. [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, that's the oil gland, also called a preen gland, and it looks fine. What a cutie you have! Please check out the forum for all kinds of information on raising a healthy, happy duck!

8. Ashleyvp918

Mar 21, 2012
    ok thanks for the advice! yes she is walking and running fine i do take her out to swim a couple of times a day. my daughter is 2 so she is learning that certain things she does hurts the duck and she has to be careful.

9. Ashleyvp918

Mar 21, 2012
    oh good. thank you for the help! i was worried there was something wrong with it LOL

10. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    Yea I would really watch her ducklings are pretty fragile. And make sure when you let the duckling swim to watch close you do not want a drowning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by