1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 24, 2012.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Anyway One chick hatched, it's trying to move the the egg shell is stuck to its back side. like the half of the shell... should i do something to help it?

2. DVMpiper

DVMpiper New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    Terrell, Tx
    Sure, just be gentle and tease it off. You might be surprised when you go back and it is already off!

3. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I went to check on it. Something from his butt eend was stuck on it. Something is hanging from his/her butt but i don't know if i should clean it now or when its ready to come out of the incubator.
    none of the other eggs started to hatch yet and i opened the incubator...eeek. Did i do something bad? I know i shouldn't but i wanted to help the poor chick. I took the egg shell out... it was # 11... So i guess it wasn't a twin egg. oy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

What is your humidity at? If the shell is stuck like that usually means the humidity is to low and your other chicks might not make it out of their shells. They basically get super glued inside the shell. If you feel you need to take the one out, then I would move the whole incubator into the bathroom and get the hot water running till its all steamy. Snatch your chick out real quick. DON"T rip the shell off her. You can soak her in a bowl of warm water and try and get the shell to peel off, or break off bigger parts not stuck to her and leave the stuck part on it will fall off eventually.

5. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    i opened it real fast. the egg shell easily came off... i was just a bit worried that she was going to stumble and hurt herself/himself with the egg still slightly hatched. she/he seems to be doing fine.
    i just uploaded a video of the hatch.

no other eggs have hatched and the chick is out of the egg completely.
    but the water in the bowl is low... can i open it and get the bowl to add more water?

6. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a normal hatch, I would leave it alone. Not sure what incubator you're using but you might be able to add water through the vent hole on the top. I've made a wick from a paper towel dropped through the vent hole and poured warm water in letting it wick down the paper towel. Your others should be hatching soon so you might not need to worry about more water as long as there's some in there.

[​IMG]

7. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I added water to the bowl very quickly though.
    3 hatched already 2 are pipping still so a possible 5 out of 10 so far.
    i am hoping more hatch but 5 is good at least for a first time hatcher

8. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    OH NO!!!
    The 3 hatched chickens! are causing trouble in the incubator. Hehehe

one egg has a piece of shell off, the inside is a bit red, i don't know what caused the piece to chip off either the inside chick or one of the trouble makers <--- a new nickname for the 3.
    What should i do? what does this mean?

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It means the ones that have hatched and are healthy and active. It does happen in an incubator that the earlier ones will knock the others around as they move. It will be fine. You don't want to open the incubator if you can help it because you don't want to lose that humidity.

10. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    One egg has white and clear substance inside.. it's still moving and hatching but it's like a clear substance inside the egg. is this bad?
    i have 4 more pipped but one of the pipped is a reddish because i think the hatched active chick might have chipped it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by