Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jakmallex, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    My broody hen hatched most of her eggs but now she won't sit on the rest!!! One baby is wet and cold but alive, it's under a heat lamp right now. What do I do with the other eggs? If I put them under a heat lamp will that work or will it kill them? What should I use for humidity? THey have pips, one has a beak showing. I do not have an incubator.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If you don;t have an incubator, then you might as well try the lamp. Some people have used electric skillets, etc... but I doubt you would have time to get it adjusted just right..... if you can keep them around 100 degrees and put damp papertowels or something on them to keep the humidity high... maybe they could hatch. Good luck!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Try putting them in a small plastic totebox or a small cardboard box place a towel on the bottom and add a wet washcloth then cover the whole thing mostly with plastic wrap to help keep the temp and humidity level stable...leave an opening for air and the lamp or light...try covering around it will a towel even...hope all that made sense I can see the picture of it in my mind.....they may hatch .....

4. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up putting the hen and her babies in a dog crate b/c the babies are so tiny I was afraid they would get stuck around the pen they were in. Since I moved her (and it's getting dark) she settled down and started to sit on her hatched babies, so I moved the eggs back under her. Hopefully she'll stay there, at least until the wiggling chirping one hatches. I think one is bad and I don't know about the other, but I figured I'd give them a chance anyway.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Thats sounds like a better plan!.... good luck...she should settle in and take care of them....

6. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Was your broody a pullet? Lots of people wont let a pullet set just because of that.

7. jakmallex

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Yeah she's 8.5 months old. I didn't intend for her to go broody. She was molting and not laying, then I didn't check for eggs for awhile b/c of that and one day she surprised me by sitting on 13 of them. I didn't have the heart to take her eggs away from her, so I let her hatch them. Even if the other 3 eggs do not hatch, 9 out of 13 is pretty good (one egg got lost about a week ago).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by