HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenhawk1982, Apr 14, 2012.

1. chickenhawk1982

chickenhawk1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    Hey guys, So I put 16 of my BLRW eggs in the hatcher (Hovabator 1602N) Thursday my temp was holding steady at 100 degrees and my humidity was holding from 65-66%. The temp and humidty held strong all day Thursday and Friday...well lastnight befor bed all of a sudden my temp has jumps up to 102 degrees? so I go over and turn the T-Stat down just a little well I get up a few hrs later and it had dropped to 97 degrees so once again I barley turn in up just a pinch. Well I wake up a few hrs later and it had jumped back up to 102 degrees? So at this point I put in 2 more Thermometers to see what they say??? well 1 reads 98 degrees, 1 reads 102 and my digital one now reads 100 degees? Any ideas??? Also what can temp drop or raise to before the eggs are ruined? Any tips/help would be great! Thanks

2. gwendalynn28

gwendalynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I keep my incubators away from windows where direct sunlight can hit them because that can raise the temperature. If they are placed by floor vents I close and cover them to keep drafty air away as well. If they are near windows, I don't open those windows while incubating either because of the draft it creates. I have had to find strategic places in the house to place my two incubators for best functioning. One is a hand built one and the other is a Little Giant forced air incubator with auto turner. Once you find the "sweet spot" in your house, you should have better success with regulating the temps. Take a good look around your incubator and see if there are any hazards around it that could cause temperature spikes and drops. Usually the problem is the environment around the incubator and not the incubator itself. I have read where some people say a closet or pantry works best because the air is pretty still and the temps steady because of no sunlight coming in or vents or windows nearby. Hope this helps! I am also incubating BLRW's! I really like them! I had three hatch out yesterday! I hope you get a high hatch rate! I still have 4 eggs in the incubator and its day 23. I'm hoping two or three more hatch out! Good luck!

3. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    better to be lower than higher. I have been keeping mine at 95-100 and out of 51 I still have 51 doing fine. my last batch went to 105 a couple times but I got it back down under 100. Your humidity is a bit high unless you are at the end of your incubation process. how is the air flow and what incubator are you using? make sure if it is the styrofoam one you have both the red plugs out. It helps regulate air flow if you don't have a fan. Hope your chicks all hatch wonderfully. blessings.

4. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    if one reads 98 and the other reads 100 and the third reads 102..then by doing the math the one that reads 100 is accurate...98 to 100 is a 4 deg diff. divide the 4deg by 2 add that to 98 deg and you get 100 deg...

5. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    I meant to say 98 to 102...but I think you get it.

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't think that is how you do it. What if one is by the heat and the other one isn't?

7. chickenhawk1982

chickenhawk1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    I got it back under control [​IMG] sorry for freaking out [​IMG] Thanks[​IMG]

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG]Glad to hear it. Hope you get lots and lots of babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by