HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Apr 18, 2012.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    my new baby chicks i got 4 they are wydonetts about 5 weeks maybe 6 weeks old. there is blood in someones poop this morning. what does this mean?

2. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    ummmm...she may be sick or has eatin somthing bad. just keep an eye on them and watch for any signs of dehidration ect.

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    well they were outside and really eating alot yesterday. maybe thats it

4. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    probly she probly got into somthing. good luck!

5. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I don't know, maybe I've been reading the "Emergencies Injuries Diseases and Pests" forum too much, but blood in the poop can't be good. Is she the only one pooping blood? Have you looked at the infamous "poop chart"? I will link it here, and you can look at it to see what's normal and what isn't. ( sometimes there are bits of intestinal lining that's considered normal, but cocci looks like a drop of blood.)

If you suspect coccidiosis, call your local vet who deals with chickens, and ask for help. I have never dealt with coccidiosis before, so I can't help you. Maybe if it's only one chick it isn't cocci, but I don't know. Good luck.

If you have a weak stomach, brace yourself- it's photos of chicken poo. http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I lost a perfectly healthy pullet after her first two days of outside grazing to coccidiosis. If you aren't feeding medicated feed, I would get the entire batch of them on a round of Corid immediately.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    the man i got them from said he was feeding them the med feed. i bought some myself. if it is that is it contageous to the others and my family?

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    also its a runny bloody poop. its not thick ans she acts ok.

9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    i also wanted to add that blood isnt in all her poop. she just pooped and it looked fine.

10. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi the3ofus+oursixchicks,
    Any blood in the droppings at that age is almost always coccidiosis.
    She may go downhill very quickly, so what others have said (to get Corid or similar) is a great idea. Do it in a hurry if you can.
    They can get coccidiosis even on medicated feed, unfortunately.

best wishes
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by