Help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailraiser22, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Quailraiser22

Quailraiser22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    I bought my quail and put them in the wire cage i built i have 2 males and 10 hens and some quail are eating feed like crazy and feed is flying everywhere. and some of them are sitting in the feeder flying feed all over their feathers. also they have a bare spot on their backs someone told me this is from breeding is it true?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    yes roosters mate on their backs, and their feet scratch the feathers off their back they will loose some on their necks too.

3. Quailraiser22

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    So how can i sex them,someone told me if they crow they are males i know this is true,but is there any way i could sex them visually they are all 6+weeks old

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    What kind of quail are they , Could you post pictures?

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    six weeks might be hard for us to tell the sex. but we might me able to tell by looking the difference between them. got pictures?

6. Quailraiser22

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    Its getting late here ill try to get some pictures tomorrow. and they are Coturnix quail

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
  8. Quailraiser22

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    Alright im having some trouble. i bought them 20% protein feed chicken starter/grower but it also said for quail. i read on here that if they arent getting enough protein they will peck.also do i have to buy them grit or sand? all im giving them now is feed and water

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Your feed flying every where is due to the wrong feeder. What your birds are doing is "dust bathing" in your feeder! I use these....

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/covered_plastic_feeder.html

These are great for small numbers of birds too.

http://www.amazon.com/Miller-Manufacturing-9808-6-Inch-Poultry/dp/B000HHNYOK

Think about putting a small tupperware about 1/2 full of sand. The birds will go crazy and love ya for it.

Yes, the bare spots are from being mounted, sometimes lesser males are mounted in the same manner.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

what species of quail are they?
    i use kitty litter pans for my Coturnix . The majority of feed stays i the pan and they bathe in it without any real loss of feed in the process
    Quail NEED 26-30% protein to their feed.They also should NOT be fed anything that's medicated as quail are sensitive to it.
    Feed a UNmedicated GAMEBIRD STARTER crumble .As well as crushed oyster shell for calcium. They need this to keep their bones strong and for healthy eggshell production.
    If you can't find Gamebird starter ,UNmedicated turkey starter feed and chopped kale and brocoli added DAILY should suffice.Kale and Brocoli are both 45% protein

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by