1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by t-dawg, Jul 10, 2008.

1. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    Yes this does have stuff to do with raising. Since Easter, i've wanted chickens. My mother said that if my father said yes, i could get some. well, he said yes, but now they keep giving me excuses why i cant get them [​IMG] , like " We have to fix the barn first!" But our barn is perfectly fine. Or "I'll buy/build a coop as soon as i get the chance to." He's had since easter. They just keep procrastinating, and i don't kno what to do! i wrote a letter to them explaning stuff, but im pretty sure they'll just shrug it off when i give it to them. [​IMG] They also say it would be too much money, but i'd be paying for them entirely. WHAT SHOULD I DO![​IMG](im gonna hopefully have enough money for everything)

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    good luck but it makes me suspicius when people say they've wanted them since easter. do you really want this chicken or just the little yellow peep that lasts for a week. not saying your like that, just think about why you want chickens.

jenny

3. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    no, it's not just for the chicks, ive always wanted one, and i told my mom that on easter.

4. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    My advice is that you show them how much you want them. I would save and slowly buy parts for a coop. Start working on building a coop. They might see you working hard and might help out. Sometimes it's hard when you are under your parents roof and have to go with what they say. You aren't going against their wishes because they said yes, so now show them how much you are really wanting them by saving and start working on the coop.

Just my thoughts on that.

5. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    Your post says I am HOPEFULLY going to have enough money. That may be why your parents are not in a hurry. Maybe they can't afford to do it right now. I would suggest that you sit down with them & ask them about it. Tell them what you want to do & how you expect to be able to pay for it. (Feed prices are climbing at an alarming rate.) Have a plan down on paper & TALK to them.

Good luck!

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    In another post, you are the parent.
    What gives?

7. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
  8. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Not to rain on your parade, but keeping chickens is not an easy undertaking to just "start up" I thought it would be easy... LOL little did I know how involved it is. The coop alone just got finished. You have to make sure it is chicken ready and predator proof. It really isn't as easy as throwing the chicks into the barn.

Are you planning on getting grown chickens or chicks. If you get chicks you may want to consider getting the older chicks at least 5 weeks so you don't have to brood them.

Sit down and talk with your parents. Start working on the coop. We had to add 2 windows and new plywood to our shed along with the run... it cost us about $250 using a lot of used materials. The run is made of the dog kennel...

The feed runs about $15-$17 for a 50lb bag at TSC, you need feeders, waterers, pine shavings, roosts, etc.

Just to give you an idea.

My suggestion, start buying the materials yourself... and once you accumulate most of what you need start working on it. If your parents say they really don't have the money 10 to 1 they don't have extra to help you, and you have to respect that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by