1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kearstin17, Sep 18, 2012.

1. kearstin17

kearstin17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Grand junction
    I new at this chicken thing. I have 11 chickens that are 20-24 weeks. All of a sudden they are peacking each other to the point that half of them have bald spots. They use to get along great and now this. I don't have a rooster so I don't know what is going on. Please tell me how to fix this. I am freaking out. It just started a few days ago and it's bad. :(

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    They may just be arranging their pecking order.

3. kearstin17

Apr 28, 2012
    Grand junction
    So this could be normal? I have noticed that the 4 that are laying eggs are like best friends now and stick together but 3 of those 4 are missing feathers on there backs. I never realized how stressed I could get over my chickens lol

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It is not normal to be pecked till they a bare in a pecking order shake up. Most likely you have a feather picker. Some just develop the bad habit of pulling out the others feathers and eating them. Most likely candidate is the better feathered bird. You can try distractions or upping the protein as a first step to stop it. Next steps could be seperation or pinless peepers.

5. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Do you have a rooster?

6. kearstin17

Apr 28, 2012
    Grand junction
    I have been watching and I have 2 that are pecking the others the most ( they are all pecking each other though) and they are eating the feathers. One is a leghorn and the other a easter egger. One of my chickens is bleeding a little from being pecked at so much. I donot think I have a rooster. I now have 6 laying and 5 that are not now. Out of that 5 that are not 3 are squating so I know there close to laying. The other 2 show no signs of laying soon but they are my youngest chickens. They are a speckled sussex and a SLW which I did think the SLW was a rooster but after posting the pic on here everyone said it is a girl and I have no crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by