help

PoultryGirly

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Hi guys. I have a call duck that is 2+ years. About 6 months ago, she was limping a little and I was so worried and she sat down a lot. I t went away really quickly though. This evening, I noticed she had another limp but a little more intense. I checked her feet and there was a glob of poo on it so I got that off and she limped less. She walks and eats and acts absolutely normal though. The temperature outside now is about 50 degrees F and about 10 or 15 degrees cooler at night. I am so worried about her. Is she okay?

Hi guys. I have a call duck that is 2+ years. About 6 months ago, she was limping a little and I was so worried and she sat down a lot. I t went away really quickly though. This evening, I noticed she had another limp but a little more intense. I checked her feet and there was a glob of poo on it so I got that off and she limped less. She walks and eats and acts absolutely normal though. The temperature outside now is about 50 degrees F and about 10 or 15 degrees cooler at night. I am so worried about her. Is she okay?
Did you wash her feet real good and make sure she doesn't have Bumble foot? there would be redness and a blk scab where the infection would be and possibly swelling. But it sounds like after you cleaned off the poo she was walking normal right? Temps shouldn't be a problem at all, ducks wear down.

Last edited:
She has a little limp...
Then i would wash her feet really good, then look to make sure she doesn't have bumble foot. she may also have sprained her leg. look for redness or heat when checking her out. If you have a drake and they are mating he may have injured her they can be pretty rough at times. But I would mainly focus on her feet first to make sure she hasn't gotten a thorn or something else stuck and it is causing bumble foot. If you have a pool set up wait till she has been in and her feet are clean or catch her and actually wash them good. Most of my ducks aren't real keen on me picking them up but I do when I have too they get over it pretty quick. Bumble foot isn't something you want to let go.

She is still limping a little. I checked her feet and I don't seem to see an infection. She is a black duck with black legs and a black beak, so its kinda hard to check. There may be a little red on each leg, though. I gave them all some nutritional thing with niacin and I gave them grass...

She is still limping a little. I checked her feet and I don't seem to see an infection. She is a black duck with black legs and a black beak, so its kinda hard to check. There may be a little red on each leg, though. I gave them all some nutritional thing with niacin and I gave them grass...
If it's an injury it will just take time to heal, keep the drake away from her till she hasn't limped for at least a week, you can always put them side by side so they can see each other but not where he can try to mate while she is recovering. some kind of nutritional thing with niacin will be good but you should probably give it to her till she isn't limping anymore. Swim time will help to it will give her time to be off her feet and really good therapy. I'd keep an eye on that foot, and if you see it's not getting better then maybe do some soaking with warm water and epsom salt. I use a small bucket just don't let her drink the water because not only does epsom salt have healing in it it is also a laxative. Keep us updated please. Okay you said leg can you feel swelling or heat? if you can then she may have some infection. Just try to keep as close an eye on her as you can over the next few days and post back if you see changes for good or worse.

Last edited:
This morning it was the same, but now when she walks, one of her legs will collapse and she'll get right back up again. Please help.

This morning it was the same, but now when she walks, one of her legs will collapse and she'll get right back up again. Please help.
So is she in a small area where she can't wear herself out? Your going to have to examine that leg really good in good light so you can see her skin and feel her leg. Sounds like it could be an injury but I am not a vet so just don't know for sure. But rest and vitamin therapy is your best bet for now. Soaking her leg in Epsom salt water[warm] for 15 min at a time might help too.

Back
Top Bottom