HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AnimalLover99, Oct 14, 2012.

1. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    i got some eggs(24) in the mail and am going to hatch them in an incubator. i have 3 chickens that are already laying eggs, so could ii put like 8 eggs in a nesting box and see if one goes broody? i heard the best hatching method was under a broody hen so i wanted to try it. should i put my favorites or least favortites down there? my favorites right? sorry this is probably a stupid question

2. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    I wouldnt use eggs you paid for to try to trick a hen to go broody this late in the year. Better off just hatching them yourself IMO

1 person likes this.
  3. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Yeah, It's may be hard to get a hen to go broody this late in the year and I wouldn't the eggs you paid for. Either leave some of the eggs they lay down there or put some golf balls down. When you notice one go broody, switch the golf balls for the eggs you paid for, but this could take time. I recommend incubating them.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would wait until a hen is broody to put eggs under her, and good luck!

5. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    thank you:) i didnt put them down there. now i have new problem. for about an hour the incubator got up to a tempurature of 107!!!!! are all of the eggs ruined now?

6. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Possibly, but there is also a good chance that they are not. The internal egg tampature can't get over 103, so if it was only 1 hour, they still have a chance so leave them be.

7. janesi87

janesi87 New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    i hear that you can see the eggs to make sure about the egg situation. Do you know this way? Or you can buy a machine to check them better :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  8. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    led mini mag light works just fine for candling eggs.

9. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    She can't candle them at this point, she just set them. If you have eggs with white shells, you should be able to tell if they are alive by days 4 or 5. If you eggs have darker shells you may have to wait until day 7 or even day 10 to really see anything. I just use a small LED flashlight in a dark room to candle, just shine it up into the egg. If you have never candled before, here's a good link to pictures of what you should be looking for inside of the egg: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/candling-pics-progression-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs

10. janesi87

janesi87 New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    it's an useful link for me to see. I have one more question about it. It is all about the chicken eggs' images but is there any different things to discover other eggs (duck for example) exept from days, outlook...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by