HELP!!!!!!!!

AnimalLover99

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
i got some eggs(24) in the mail and am going to hatch them in an incubator. i have 3 chickens that are already laying eggs, so could ii put like 8 eggs in a nesting box and see if one goes broody? i heard the best hatching method was under a broody hen so i wanted to try it. should i put my favorites or least favortites down there? my favorites right? sorry this is probably a stupid question

Yeah, It's may be hard to get a hen to go broody this late in the year and I wouldn't the eggs you paid for. Either leave some of the eggs they lay down there or put some golf balls down. When you notice one go broody, switch the golf balls for the eggs you paid for, but this could take time. I recommend incubating them.

thank you:) i didnt put them down there. now i have new problem. for about an hour the incubator got up to a tempurature of 107!!!!! are all of the eggs ruined now?

Possibly, but there is also a good chance that they are not. The internal egg tampature can't get over 103, so if it was only 1 hour, they still have a chance so leave them be.

i hear that you can see the eggs to make sure about the egg situation. Do you know this way? Or you can buy a machine to check them better :D

Last edited:
She can't candle them at this point, she just set them. If you have eggs with white shells, you should be able to tell if they are alive by days 4 or 5. If you eggs have darker shells you may have to wait until day 7 or even day 10 to really see anything. I just use a small LED flashlight in a dark room to candle, just shine it up into the egg. If you have never candled before, here's a good link to pictures of what you should be looking for inside of the egg: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/candling-pics-progression-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs

She can't candle them at this point, she just set them. If you have eggs with white shells, you should be able to tell if they are alive by days 4 or 5. If you eggs have darker shells you may have to wait until day 7 or even day 10 to really see anything. I just use a small LED flashlight in a dark room to candle, just shine it up into the egg. If you have never candled before, here's a good link to pictures of what you should be looking for inside of the egg: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/candling-pics-progression-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs
it's an useful link for me to see. I have one more question about it. It is all about the chicken eggs' images but is there any different things to discover other eggs (duck for example) exept from days, outlook...

Back
Top Bottom