help

rwisr41

Hatching
7 Years
May 20, 2012
I read an article a while back that stated "you could store eggs at a cooler temp.untill you had enough to run your incubator ." We have just purchased an incubator and want to start hatching some eggs . My question is what is the coolest temp. you can store eggs and still hatch them . The instructions on the incubator said to store at 50 to 55 degrees F . I want to say the article stated "that a temp lower then that will kill the roo's in that batch of eggs " Any help would be apprciated , Thanks in advance.

I read an article a while back that stated "you could store eggs at a cooler temp.untill you had enough to run your incubator ." We have just purchased an incubator and want to start hatching some eggs . My question is what is the coolest temp. you can store eggs and still hatch them . The instructions on the incubator said to store at 50 to 55 degrees F . I want to say the article stated "that a temp lower then that will kill the roo's in that batch of eggs " Any help would be apprciated , Thanks in advance.
That article is not correct.

You can store eggs in your refrigerator if you like, and still use them for hatching. I have done so many times. Also there is no way to control the amount of roosters that will hatch - this is not affected by temperature. It would be great if it was - like reptile.

If it was true about the temperature thing, then everyone would be doing it, including the large scale egg farms.

Fertilized eggs are good to incubate within ten days of laying. Proper tempature storing of fertilized eggs is room temp (71-78). You want to store them small end down to form a air pocket prior to incubation if possible. These are all optimum settings. That being said I have seen and heard of cooled eggs incubated and hatched. I doubt the fertility/mortality was that of properly stored eggs, but it can happen. Chickens are very cold hearty. Excessive heat is worse for them. Hope this helps, I have 20+ chicks hatching as I type :D.

Back
Top Bottom