1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gypsy5583, Dec 12, 2012.

1. gypsy5583

gypsy5583 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    My Americaunas are not laying. I got all 5 of my chickens on nov 10th.. My BIL said it would take some time for them to adjust. This was true, my RIR laid 2 eggs the first and second day after I had gotten them , then no eggs untill Dec 2nd. Now my WLH is laying on average 1 a day same for my RIR. These 5 were taken from his flock and his Amer. are laying regular. I am feeding them laying pellets and they are eating and are healthy. I know since its cold weather egg production would be low. Really just wanted the Amer. eggs for breeding.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's not so much the cold but more the shorter day length along with the changes.
    Are you adding light?
    With shorter days and molt I went from 18 eggs average to 4. Then I had a dog attack and went 3 weeks without an egg. I'm now getting 1 every other day from 20 birds.
    I just started adding light (12 hours) a week ago. I expect the ones who are past the molt to start up again in another week or two.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    My EEs won't lay at all in the winter without supplementary light. A regular 75 watt light bulb on a timer to come on at 4am and off at 8am should do it.

If they were laying before the light started to wane, then they should start laying again within three weeks of your adding supplementary light.

4. gypsy5583

Sep 22, 2012
    THANK YOU [​IMG]

5. gypsy5583

Sep 22, 2012
    I had taken away the light a few weeks ago, just trying out some things, I hear and read so much about light vs no light, and what not, but I added it back a few days ago and Look what I found today!!

[​IMG]

Quote: a pretty pale greenish blue egg! Go Bessie!!

And found all these yesterday!!

[​IMG]

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Glad it worked for you. Day length is SUPER important for egg laying.

7. gypsy5583

Sep 22, 2012
    she has layed 3 eggs now since I posted this. I am getting 3 eggs daily now. Yay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by