Help

HFC6

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 21, 2012
This is my first time on here. I have a lovely Wyandotte chicken, 18mths old. She's a big girl and amazed me with how heavy she normally is to pick up. ( I have 5 others of mixed ages & types.) A few days ago I found her lying on her side in the garden, she let me pick her up so I brought her inside, kept her in a cage and offered food, she seemed ravenous. But she has lost so much weight now. She had bad smelly diarrhoeah. After eating she perked right up. I've kept her in for 2 days, started 7 days of worming with flubenvet (and also for the other girls outside,) shes eating and drinking but does keep closing her eyes standing up. Poo seems bit better.
I let her back out today, she seemed ok, not eating as much as the others. I chucked some food out for them,as they ran over she fell over and stayed there so I've brought her back in again. I think she's just weak from loss of fluids and body weight from diarrhoeah. My other half is against me taking the chucks to the vet as it cost £60 last time. Is it possible to get antibiotics any other way if that's what she needs? What should I feed her to help her put on weight quickly? I really want to get her better, what should I do?

at 18 months she may be in a molt. It can be really hard on them. I have felt that my hens were near death, not eating well, tired, eyes closed, head tucked in, not moving as much, etc..But it was just a long hard molt. Keep trying to get her to eat and drink, give her some electrolyte solution in her water, you can give them some vitamin B12, gives them some energy. Good luck

Thank you for the advice. I'll try that out, I'm just worried as she's so thin. I can see I'll be taking her away with me over Christmas to keep feeding her!

Sounds awful. I would worm her. Do not introduce her back to the flock until she's well just in case she in infectious. Don't do too many treatments at once because it can be very stressing physically. Extra protein will aid in healing. You can get a small bag of game bird feed for her, it usually has 24+% protein. She can also eat unmedicated chick food. Check her well for mites and lice, especially around the vent area. Eggs are high in protein and she will love them, also plain yogurt. While you have her in the house, she would enjoy the heat from a low wattage light bulb. I would add liquid vitamins to her water. I use Polyvisol liquid vitamin drops for babies, without iron. She can have a couple drops by mouth and then add a teaspoon per cup of water. She might enjoy cornbread, grapes, and shredded cheese. All my flock LOVES shredded cheese.

Sending healing vibes...

Back
Top Bottom