Help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WalkingNorth, Jan 14, 2013.

1. WalkingNorth

WalkingNorth Out Of The Brooder

long story short, first time incubating, woke up this morning on day 16 to find a pip! little bugger is running backwards though. what do i do? will he make it?

2. WalkingNorth

[​IMG]

here's a pic of the little guy. sorry its not clearer

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Chicks running backwards, falling over backwards and such, can stem from vitamin deficiencies or neurological issues. You can try adding vitamins or some sort of electrolyte solution to the water and see if that helps.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. WalkingNorth

ah, sorry I wasn't clear, I mean he's pipping backwards through the small end of the egg!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like the chick did not position itself right inside the egg, or the air cell developed in the wrong end of the egg. Only time will tell if this little guy makes it out.

6. WalkingNorth

Am I stepping on a land mine if I ask if I should help baby? I'm keeping the humidity as high as I can. Forums seem to agree that IF you help, you should wait at least 24 hours if the chick stops making progress

Is there anything I could've done to prevent this? Is it something that just happens or did I screw up?

sorry for all the questions [​IMG]

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

No--you didnt do anything wrong. In my experience they just pop out like popcorn. Sometimes they are fully formed and dead in the shell. If you think you should help, if you think it might die, then help...but it might die anyhow. It is kind of up to you...IMHO. TerriO

8. loves2hatch

loves2hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I would wait and see for at least 24 hours. has he only pipped or has he started zipping? My last quail that hatched I had one pipped on a friday and didn't hatch til Sunday. It pipped on day 15 but didn't hatch til day 17. no help, No issues with toes all very healthy. Although he wasn't backwards. I think he can still make it out on his own if he's healthy. If he zips part way then stops I find you can help easier then and don't have to worry about bleeding.

9. WalkingNorth

The little guy has made a hole through the shell and the membrane, i can see him wiggling when the females call. so you think 2 days for him?

10. loves2hatch

loves2hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I would wait if it was me. He hasn't starting zipping yet if it's just a hole. The yolk might not be absorbed yet. If The hole gets really big and he isn't turning then I would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by