Help :(

Mygirls20

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Colorado
I just bought 4 chickens from this guy down in highlands ranch. I had 6 to start out with but my friends and family wanted eggs and my girls were not producing enough. Anyways I didn't get a good look at my new 4 before they got put into a cardboard box and placed into the back of my car. I noticed when I put them into their coop that their nails were all about 4 inches long. My grey female is the worst some of her nails have actually curled into a complete circle and she is having problems walking. I have slowly been cutting the nails down but the blood vein is almost as long as the nails. Also my grey ones beak is super long she can barely eat. I don't know whether I can cut her beak or not I am starting to feel really bad for her. She gets picked on a lot is the only chicken that doesn't say hi to me and my daughters, she is terrified of people. should I start thinking about putting her down or should I keep slowly cutting her nails and beak back
barnie.gif

I would just keeping cutting them down every few days. The quick will recede with the nail each time you cut. It will take awhile but you can get them down to a manageable level. I had to do the same thing with an abandoned dog that came into my care. I have not tried it on a chicken yet, but with some of my dogs I use a dremel to sand down the nails rather than the cutting nail trimmer. I have found I can get a little more in one go with that tool. I have one silkie who's nail need trimming sometimes and I have used the clippers on her in the past.

Also make sure you give them lots of space to scratch around and they will also help themselves a little.

I am pretty sure you can trim a beak. I have never done it but if you search the threads I know people have.

Wow. What's the secret to trimming their nails? I have a leghorn that could use a little trimming but I can't catch her much less use a dremel tool on her. She would freak out.

Ya they have a 50 square foot run have inside have out. The grey one just sits by herself and pouts a lot her flock mates have already joined my flock and found their new pecking order. I just feel so bad for her and really dont want her to be suffering. My husband thinks I am crazy cause its a chicken but I just want to make sure I am being responsible with them. This is my first go at having chickens and I want to do it right
hmm.png
. Thanks for your advice I will continue cutting all of her nails but the circle one

Wow. What's the secret to trimming their nails? I have a leghorn that could use a little trimming but I can't catch her much less use a dremel tool on her. She would freak out.

Most hens that get to move around and scratch lot will not need their nails trimmed so unless you see that they look out of control it is not something you need to worry about. My leghorn is three years old and I have never trimmed hers.

If you have ever trimmed a dogs nails it is basically the same. If you need to do it but can't catch them wait until they go to bed - they are must easier to catch and control. Wrap her in a towel nice and tight, like you are swaddling a newborn, so she can't get her wings out and fight. Hold her against you and get someone to help you do the trimming if you need. Just like with a dog, only take a very small amount at a time and go with the angle of the nail.

edited: regular, inexpensive dog clippers work just fine.

Last edited:
I use dog nail clippers, a nail file, and keep a bottle of blood stop powder close by. Like ChickensRDinos said, do it gradually and the quick will recede. You can usually see the quick in the nail under good lighting. Give a vitamin supplement with a good level of vitamin k in it a day before clipping is always beneficial to prevent excess bleeding.

Ya I have been using dog clippers. Its just sad that they are that long I am not kidding when i say 4 inches. Still dont know was to do about the nail that is turned into a full circle its to tight that I cant even get any kind of clippers to cut it without cutting the quick. Also tonight while I was trying to relax after putting my kids to bed I had a fox attack :( this has never happened. I have a huge area that had high thick grade steel that a mountain lion or bear cant break into. Somehow this fox scared my chickens off their roost got them away from their indoor area and grabbed one of my fav chickens through the fence. (I cant even fit my hand through the gaps in the fence so I dont see how he got her.) He tore off some of her feathers and skin from one of her wings. (Dont see where he thought he was going with everything cause even if he killed her he wouldnt have been able to take her anywhere) Her wing is not broken and after I cuddled/sat with her for over half an hour she seemed fine. She is walking drinking stretching out her wings and eating all her fav foods. What should I be putting on her wound to keep it from getting infected I dont want to loose her
hit.gif

Lay a chicken on its back while you trim its nails. It is MUCH easier to do then. The bird holds more still & you can see better, too.

There is a photo of this holding technique on my page on trimming rooster spurs at http://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/home/rooster-spurs-trimming-and-removing.

Thanks ya i have been trying to use a towel and cover the face read somewhere that they calm down when they cant see. ?!? mine calm down after I catch them its just the catching them part thats still tricky so I cheat and use mealworms to lure them over
roll.png

you could irrigate the wound with saline solution but,if you don't have that clean the wound gently with soap and water. Not peroxide, it damages healthy tissue and really burns. Pat dry and then

use neosporin ointment ( no pain relief formula) over the wound. I'm sure others will come on and offer further advice.

Back
Top Bottom