1. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Hello everyone. A few minutes ago I found that one of my 7 month old Silver Spangled Hamburg has a prolapse. She has not layed any eggs yet. I have been reading up on some other threads about what to do, and I heard that honey can help if applied on the area. Anyone know how often to put the honey on? And also, any other advice on what to do? Any help will be appreciated!

Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bluebee

2. Bluebee

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Anyone?[​IMG]

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I took my hen to a vet. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive to have them put everything back in and in place. I haven't dealt much with prolapses at all, so hopefully someone who has will help you.

4. Bluebee

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Thanks anyways. [​IMG]

Going to try to bathe her in warm water with epsom salt... Keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the best [​IMG]

Bluebee

5. Bluebee

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Ok and another question... How often do I put on the Preparation H on? On the packet it says 4 times daily for people... but just to be safe I would like to hear from anyone with experience on this. [​IMG]

6. Bluebee

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Forgot to post this earlier.. I cleaned the area with a solution of 2 quarts of boiled water and 1 teaspoon of epsom salt. I tried to push the innards back in, but as soon as I put her into the enclosure, she pooped and they fell out again. Put Prep. H on, and if it doesn't work in a few hours, I will try the honey method.

Bluebee :)

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I just read your post... honey is excellent as it has healing properties too - apply two or three times a day and do push the prolapse back inside her - keep her in a darkened area away from the rest of the flock - she needs rest, warmth and a quiet place....

Good luck!

Suzie

8. Bluebee

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Thank you, Suzie. Just moved her into the house from the garage (too cold there). The only thing is that the things keep falling out :( Poor bird... We are on our day 1. Do hope she will recover.

9. Bluebee

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Update! She "layed" her first egg finally! Today in the morning, I felt an egg in her vent. It was huge. Literally, bigger than her head. I read more about egg binding online, and they suggested to put her in a bath of really warm water, to loosen up her muscles and make the egg passing easier. I held her in the bath for about 30 min, and that seemed to do the trick![​IMG]Thank you to everyone who posted for all of your help. Right now she is sitting on a warm towel in the bathroom, not eating or drinking. I put antibiotic on her. Hoping she doesn't develop an infection.

[​IMG]
    Wish me luck![​IMG]

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    That is great news! Hope she keeps improving now that she has passed her egg!

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by