help!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by kallyandnliv, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kallyandnliv

kallyandnliv New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    I`ll try not to make this long, and I dont know where to ask this....I have roosters and chickens all over my yard. Their not mine. Today i found a rooster and a hen in my boat with 2 eggs. They ran off leaving them. 1 was ice cold and 1 was very very warm. I felt so bad I took the warm egg and placed it in a warm bowl with some straw and placed it under a light to help keep it warm. What do I do to help this little thing?? I read the temp needs to stay at 102.5 and water to keep it moist. I dont have the water touching the egg! What should I do? Am I just being silly? is it even going to be a chick? Thanks for any help.[​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi [​IMG]. Eggs must be incubated for 21 days to make a chick. It would need to be incubated by a hen or you would need a incubator keeping temperture and humidity accurate for development. I'm sure these are fresh eggs so, you could just eat them at this point - without feeling guilty.

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Most likely if the hen was broody and sitting to hatch she would not have run off. Sounds like she just found a nice place to lay an egg and came back today to lay another one (the warm one you found)!

Make an omelet!

4. kallyandnliv

kallyandnliv New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    okay, thanks. But, theres no way it could be brought to a chick stage by anything we do? We cant help things along? I probably sound dumb, but, I am just wondering how I can start my own little herd from some of these stray eggs around the yard.

5. kallyandnliv

kallyandnliv New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    thank you!

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    If there is a rooster...the eggs could be fertilized and if you found them early enough and got them in a incubator-you could start your own flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by