Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by becky0229, Feb 1, 2013.

1. becky0229

becky0229 New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    Hi everyone I found an abandoned chicken and cockerel last night behind some bins at a field by my house I don't know what breed they are on anything and needs some tips on how to care for them they are currently in my garden I have filled a Wendy house with straw
    And I got chicken pellets
    And mixed corn from the pet shop this morning they both look healthy and seem
    Quite tame.[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, becky0229, and [​IMG]! An inadvertent chicken keeper!!! Great save!! Are you interested in keeping & caring for them or finding out who owns them/a way to find someone to take them? The chicken pellets are and corn are good for them for now - plus some water. Sounds like they have suitable temporary housing as well. Can you block them in (predators out) in the house they are in?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Lucky things to be found by you! Commercial chicken food is good as a main feed, they can both eat layer pellets, but if you are feeding something else the hen will need some kind of calcium supplement, like crushed egg shells or crushed oystershell. give the corn in moderation, just as a treat for them. It would also be a good idea to dust them with poultry dust and deworm them, just in case... (ask at your local feedstore what products they have available)

For a quick crash course in chicken keeping look at the Learning Centre:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

For housing requirements (You may want your wendy house back at some point!):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

And if you want to know what breed they are:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy!

2 people like this.
  4. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    [​IMG] from Colorado!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great find. They look like cochins and although the picture is a little blurry they appear to be purebreds. Welcome to BYC.

6. kiwigirl2012

kiwigirl2012 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi
    Make sure there legs are ok and make sure they have no bites or any thing and also check for eggs.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] what an awesome find!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. How wonderful that you found them and have took them in. Definitely check out the links provided - lots of great info about keeping chickens and good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. kiwigirl2012

kiwigirl2012 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    My chicken has a curled toe.the curled to is a bit longer and is a bit fatter than all of her other toes.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] it is fatter or actually swollen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by