1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Does my hen have gapeworm? Or what's wrong with her and how can I fix it? Do I need to worry about the rest of my flock? I've notice she hasn't been eatting like she should, but she will eat what I throw out there.. Her shells have started to grow thin as well. Don't know if this has something or not, but thought I'd ask. Can someone help me help my hen please?

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f...=view&current=20130306_151848_zpsad5ae8b1.mp4

2. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Immediately remove her from the others, keeping her inside if possible to keep her warm. It looks respiratory, so go get some tetracyline (sp?). She may infect the others if you do not remove her. Do you have a comfortable travel cage you can put her in? Keep her in a quiet environment unless she's very used to people.

She's having trouble breathing I believe, probably from mucus.

I'm no expert, but if no one else answers this is my best advice.

Tetracycline is cheap for a small amount at a feed store. I think ours was about $6 for a pouch that might be about 6 ounces of powder. You have to give it to the hen in her drinking source for 7-10 days I think but follow the guidelines you can find here on this site, or the feed store people tell you.

Since she's not eating, that would probably explain the thin eggshell, since she's not getting enough calcium.

Stimulate her appetite any way you can with treats, rice, bread, crushed hard-boiled egg, corn, etc...

3. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
  4. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I will get that too. Is it ok to treat all of them with it? She is the only one having problems, none of the others are having the slightest issue. There isn't any mucus coming from her mouth or nose, but she does he what I throw out there and is pecking the ground.. Can i treat her with Avitrol? I've had her for a few months and the weather never seemed to have changed anything with her??

5. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    I also just want to say here, that I know nothing about "gapeworm." My advice is only because whatever it is, she needs attention immediately or she will most likely die.

I hope others here can add to what I've said or have better ideas!??

She's such a cutie, I hope she gets well soon!

6. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Hmm, I really can't knowlegibly answer anything about Avitrol or give you much more advice except to keep her as calm, comfortable and warm as you can. If she stands with her feathers fluffed out she is either in pain or chilled. In this case it would be more likely chill. Try to minimize that and get to in some way at around 75-80 degrees. You can do this with a towel and a low wattage light, and fashion a "hospital cage" for her.

I hope others can confirm my advice. Her sneezing means she is probably contageous. She may also have a sour crop, so please look into signs for that as well.

7. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Thanks. Gape worm is round worms that lodge themself in the throat of a chicken. I'm hoping I can treat them all with the meds and clear them all out. I just noticed her gasping a little bit ago. It's gasping, weezing, and coughing wich makes me believe it's gapeworm. No mucus that I can see wich is why I don't think it's an infection. I'm going to buy both though and treat her with one and if she isn't better in 2 days treat her with the other.

8. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    She sneezed like that for a long long while, but not the coughing like.. The other sneeze, but rarely.

9. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    That poor dear. I hope you can get her to eat and rest without coughing like that soon. Let us know what's happening later this evening or tomorrow. I hope I have helped in some way, but she could possibly even have something lodged in her throat?

From the video, my vote is that it's respiratory though.

10. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    ...wait, but no mucus or watery eyes you said? arrgh... I don't know. Please take what I've said with a grain of salt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by