HELP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmer12, Mar 15, 2013.

1. farmer12

farmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    im getting a rooster but will i still get normal eggs?. should i seperate him then when i wont fertile eggs let him in? [​IMG] help!

2. Kaybeth

Kaybeth New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    You can leave your rooster with the hens!
    Fertilized eggs are fine to eat. As long as you are collecting your eggs regularly, you don't have to worry about finding any chick embryos when you crack open an egg. The embryos won't start growing until they reach a certain balance of warmth and humidity (such as a mother hen sitting on them, or being in an incubator).

3. farmer12

May 25, 2012
    ok thank u very much [​IMG][​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There really isn't much difference between a fertile and a non-fertile egg. So you can eat it and don't worry about breaking an egg open to find a chick. They need to be kept at a high temperature (±98*) for 24-48 hours before there will be anything resembling life. You can separate the rooster from the flock if you want infertile eggs, but... hens lay fertile eggs for up to 2 weeks after 1 successful mating. So you will have to wait. Rather keep the rooster with your hens, make sure you collect the eggs frequently and when one of your hens go broody or you feel like hatching some eggs in an incubator you'll have plenty fertile eggs on hand.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

someone told me that if a rooster mated with a hen you will have to wait a month for it to come out so you don't get a different mix .. fertilized eggs are fine i eat them all the time and there was only once where i found sorta life in a egg it was a tiny tiny chick type thing but that is because all my hens like to lay in one nesting box so it was warmed up a lot

6. farmer12

May 25, 2012
    ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by