1. archil

archil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    The neighbours dog just attacked some of our three week old chicks and one of them is still alive, we're not sure if its neck is broken or what.
    Its breathing kind of with a click, and every now and then it moves, it stretched out its wings before and was kicking its legs.
    We wouldnt be willing to take it to the vets, its not worth it.
    Should we kill it or wait a bit and see what happens.
    We don't want to keep it in pain, but we don't really have any means to kill it humanely.
    any help/opinions would be appreciated.

2. archil

Nov 6, 2012
    it's wheezing a bit now, but also moving its head, i guess the head moving is good, but the wheezing not so much.

its moving a lot as it breathes, like is trying hard. ill move it a bit
    it just started chirping a bit, and moving a bit then stopped again. its drinking some sugar water now

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

With the poor nchick being so small the dog could have damaged a lung or collapsed it anyway... Keep a close eye, keep it unstressed but see if the movements increase. Head bobbing,stretching then retracting their feet back are ok sighns. Probably in shock, but try to make sure she drinks somehow. Grab a clean eyedropper and moisten the tip of the beak with one drop only, try to avoid nostrils, instinctively the chick will try to suckle the water back. If in total shock she will not.

Please give her your best effort... if it is shock it is hit and miss unfortunately but I have rescued so many small chickens and such mauled by dogs and cats I have seen some ugliness out there. Give her a couple of days, but make sure if you have her under a lamp or lightbulb that she is hydrated at the tip of the beak and look for reaction.. Best of luck...fingers crossed.

4. archil

Nov 6, 2012
    she died about ten minutes ago i guess she was hurt on the inside.
    thanks for help

5. muscovylove

muscovylove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    so sorry to hear this....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by