Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VickyH, Jul 27, 2013.

1. VickyH

VickyH New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    I am a newbie with my Pekins. I have 2 males and 4 females 19 weeks old. All was going well until about 2 weeks ago when both my males started mating with one of my females. Now they chase her around and pull her feather out on her neck. She stays away from them as much as she can. Even when out of the pond, the one male will lower his head and chase her. Is this normal? We feel badly for her, it's like she's lost her "family", as she is only in the group when there is danger or it is getting dark and it is time to go into their house at night. Any ideas? Thanks!!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Some times a drake or drakes will have a favorite hen and just won't leave them alone. I would either seprate the drakes from the hens or get new drakes. or get rid of that hen.

3. decomposed

decomposed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    the female should get used to it over time and hopefully she won't try to run away as much but if the drakes get too aggressive you could fence off a bit of space for her and put her in maybe with another female so she doesn't get too lonely. i have a drake and female that constantly pick on my youngest female and rip her feathers and skin off her back i had to build a fence to separate the yard in half now i got my friendliest drake and the youngest female in one half and the more aggressive drake and female in the other half so they can still see each other but they can't attack the youngest female

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Try some different splits, it can be tricky. Her life and health depend on you, so first of all, keep her safe. If she is within sight and sound of the flock, that is good. Try separating each drake, and see what the dynamic is for each different combination. Sometimes these things change with season, sometimes not. It's up to the ducks and they don't always make the best decisions, seems to me.

5. VickyH

VickyH New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    She is always within sight of the flock. She stays only a few feet away. She eats and drinks without any issues. She DOE NOT like to mate. The other females are all for it. The males seem to want her the most. We pay special attention to her so she does not feel left out. She even walks up the steps of our deck now and looks into the sun room windows! She knows we will give her lettuce.
    Thanks for your responses. We really enjoy our pekins, they are so much fun to watch.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    2 drakes to 4 females is really 1 too many drakes. 4-6 females per male is ideal. Pekin are known to be sexually aggressive. I would try Amiga's advice and seperate one of the drakes and see how it goes with the rest. If things go well after seperation, rehome the extra drake or look to get more females for him. Overly aggressive drakes can kill hens.

7. duckman6666

duckman6666 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Nebraska
    I have 4 females and just got 1 male mallard,the female mallard was here first and took the roll of a male,jumping on there bus and even acting as if she was pushing in,the male mallard tries but the female interfiers.what should I do?

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would keep them separated but side by side in pens for a while. The females need to become familiar with him first, then slowly introduce them. My runners still do not get along with Bean, so we go side by side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by