Help!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ederob, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Hi! My aunts quarter horse that runs barrels and used to rope has little bumps all over her body. You can not barely see them bust you can feel them a lot! She also has hair loss on her shoulders, neck, back, chest, head and hind quarters! We think she ran a fever last night and half or all day because she was sweating really bad more then all the other horses out in the pasture with her. We tried to take her tempter but the thermometer did not work. It was like 95 degrease yesterday. But we have a old gelding how is always the sweatiest horse in the pasture but she was to yesterday! So please help!!!

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Sounds like hives to me. She may be having an allergic reaction to something. I would call a Vet out to check her. If it is hives, she will need an antihistamine.

3. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Bumps combined with the hairloss makes me think rain rot. Are there little scabs on each bump?

4. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    I will call the vet and see what she says.

No there are no little scabs on any of the bumps

5. Wild Prime

Wild Prime Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Idaho
    Also sounds like hives to me. A few years ago something on the wind caused most of the horses where I live to get little bumps all over their bodies and my mare also lost some hair. Our vet gave us medication to put in our water tank and within a few days the bumps had cleared up.

6. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    Thanks!

7. PrairieK

PrairieK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    I don't know where y'all live but some horses down here in Louisiana get that from Mosquitos. Pretty much just an allergic reaction to the bites.

8. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    Thanks! I also live in Louisiana!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by