HELP!!!

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I finally decided to let my chickens roost in the trees today, and they went pretty high up in the trees, it's around 12 at night and I was nervous of having them outside roosting so I went to check on them, I flash my flashlight at the tree and I see nothing but RATS, running from branches to hide and I desperately tried to locate my chickens they were perfectly fine, high in the tree, but some rats were coming closer to them, but, my flashlight scared them off? There bantams, really small bantams fit in the palm of your hand and I'm terrified that the rats will kill them what do I do? I have no way of getting them since there so high up?

welcome-byc.gif
most birds won't move in the dark so they are sitting ducks for predators. Maybe if you had a floodlight they could see their way to come down. I didn't know bantams could fly that
high. Are they gamebirds?

If the rats run from the light, is it possible to shine a flood light up at the tree? That might scare them off from the chickens. If they do come down you'll have to have them in a pen with a top on it or they will continue to roost in the tree. They say if you clip one wing it makes them unbalanced enough so they can't fly well but, that also makes them more vulnerable to predators.

welcome-byc.gif
most birds won't move in the dark so they are sitting ducks for predators. Maybe if you had a floodlight they could see their way to come down. I didn't know bantams could fly that
high. Are they gamebirds?

If the rats run from the light, is it possible to shine a flood light up at the tree? That might scare them off from the chickens. If they do come down you'll have to have them in a pen with a top on it or they will continue to roost in the tree. They say if you clip one wing it makes them unbalanced enough so they can't fly well but, that also makes them more vulnerable to predators.

X2. And you might want to post in this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

I would shoot the rats with a 22 or a pellet gun. then when you do that, put a large skirt around the tree so the rats can't climb it. Just a thought. but you should get rid of the rat infestation. they will also bring in other predators. Myself, when they come down to eat, I would fence them in with 1/2 inch netting buried 12" below the ground and chicken wire over the top with a coop locked every night.

Back
Top Bottom