help!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thebitty, Aug 4, 2013.

1. thebitty

thebitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    Cedar Bluff, MS
    My chickens have beat on my baby duck and I need advice on how to help it and if it will live.[​IMG]

2. thebitty

Jun 25, 2013
    Cedar Bluff, MS
    I can see meat and his back bone but I put peroxide on it and that's why it looks like that in the pic

3. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Bring the duck in place him/her in a dark warm place I usually use a pet taxi lined with a towel. Put some neosporin without pain relief on the injured area and offer water with electrolytes in it also offer a good yummy treat as well as feed. Continue to clean the wound as needed and use the neosporin keep an eye out for infection and make sure flies don't lay eggs in the wound. Keep it inside until it heals and you might have to separate the ducks from the chickens. Hoping for a speedy recovery and best of luck!

4. chickenfever417

chickenfever417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    Oh my goodness they really got him deep. I had to click on the pic to make it larger to see the extent of the damage. Is he walking ok?

5. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    I thought the same thing when I clicked on the picture

6. thebitty

Jun 25, 2013
    Cedar Bluff, MS
    He's walking fine I'm glad he's not paralyzed. I got him in the house in a cage with hay and a heating pad underneath. But I will try that. Thanks

7. thebitty

Jun 25, 2013
    Cedar Bluff, MS
    I have one duck in a game coop and its fine and its getting along but the laying hens beat the hell out of him and my EE

8. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Poor guy I hope he heals quickly he really took a beating from them. My naked necks seem to be the ones the rest of the flock picks on I am constantly having to clean and treat peck/bite wounds on them. I am planning on moving them as soon as the mini coop is built.

9. thebitty

Jun 25, 2013
    Cedar Bluff, MS
    My uncle that lives right across the road brought me some vetricyn that the veterinarians use for animals and his dog got bit by something that swole her entire face up and he put tthat on her and it healed in less than 2 hours

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Veterycin is awesome i wouldn't be without it. Please don't put your ducklings in with grown chickens they can not protect themselves at all [as you have now seen] Spray the dickens out of the wound at least 3X a day it is great stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by