1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vikij-xiong, Aug 12, 2013.

1. vikij-xiong

vikij-xiong New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    So I have an old english pair and my females not broody at all she's had like 4 eggs within the last week and a half and she hasn't say on them once what should I do?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    are you going to use incubator?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    What I do:
    I collect eggs for eating until one of my hens decides to sit. AFTER she's been tight on the nest for a couple of days (so I know she's serious) I gather a clutch for her over the next couple of days/week and then give them all to the hen at the same time. Or, as stated above, use my incubator if I don't have anybird willing to sit :)

4. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    If your bird is broody then she will hatch the eggs herself. If she isn't she won't and you'll need an incubator. It depends when you want the chicks. If you want them any time then wait for a broody. If you want them at a specific time use the incubator.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    It has been really hot here. I got hot eggs and put them under a hot hen = melted liquid eggs. I am not going to try and hatch in out in the heat. My hen has 3 that will hatch, but I put in 15 more in a bator. Indoors is better for me this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by