HELP

tracyfuertevent

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
yesterday day i rescued 2 ducklings they are 2 months old ,i dont know the breed all i know is that they have taken to me as a second mum so i want to do my best for them ,
i have loads of land so that is not a problem , i have fed them today some grain and they love melon also i have a small ish bath for them and have bathed them to get all the dirt of them and then they had fun sunning themselves and flapping their little wings
any advice would be soo much appreciated
thanks in advance tracy
ps i live in the canary islands so is very hot at the moment ........do they like heat ???

Hi Tracy --- Do you have any idea if they are wild or domestic? How did you decide they are 2 mo old? They need to be protected from predators.

Ducks will breathe with their mouth open when they are hot. They need a shady place to get out of the sun and plenty of fresh water.

Do they have their feathers in yet?

Make sure they have a balanced diet between grain, fresh veggies and a bit of fruit. Sunflower seeds are good.

hi
i have no idea if they are wild or domestic ,the guy that was going to dump them told me they are 2 months old.they have feathers arounf their heads and tails but a bit scrawny on the backs
the seem fairly tame as in they come to me for food etc ,i have fed them sandia and sunflower seeds as well as weeds so they can forage
we dont have any predators here ( excet cats) but i have already introduced my cats and dogs to them with no problem
as i said any advise is well appreciated thanks tracy

Lol, I`m going on a holiday in about 4 weeks to Gran Canaria. Don`t they have pet store`s over there? It`s really important to give them the right food. Maybe you can order some trough the internet? Or at least give them chicken food. Grains and stuff, plus some veggies and mealworms for example. But your already giving them grains, so that`s good. Make sure they have a pool to wash them selves. Have fun watching those little ones grow!! Are you gonna keep them?

hi i have been to the pet shop and they are saying what i am doing is ok,
i am definately keeping them,they are so much fun already ,they both have very different personalities and i am giving them lots of attention,ie handling etc

Hi, Tracy --- You are doing a fantastic job! Aren't duckies fun?

Keep in mind that until they have all their feathers in that they are NOT water proof and could become water logged and drown. So give them shallow water for now.

I am happy to answer any questions that you have. I need to go to sleep now but I will check back with you tomorrow.

Take care!

hi blackberry hill
i have given them a bath every day and the water does seem to skim off them except on their bellies,i have got them a little bath that is about 5 inches deep and 2 foot square
the bigest girl went straight back in and had a brillint time (like she had never done it before ?) the other one wasnt sure
but i keep forgetting i have only had them since sunday and i dont know how they have been treated
they seem to prefer fruit than the seeds and grain will this affect their tummies ??
thanks again from sunny fuerteventura

hi blackberry hill
i have given them a bath every day and the water does seem to skim off them except on their bellies,i have got them a little bath that is about 5 inches deep and 2 foot square
the bigest girl went straight back in and had a brillint time (like she had never done it before ?) the other one wasnt sure
but i keep forgetting i have only had them since sunday and i dont know how they have been treated
they seem to prefer fruit than the seeds and grain will this affect their tummies ??
thanks again from sunny fuerteventura
Can you get reg feed for them? like an all flock feed formulated for ducks/chickens all fowl, that way they are getting the best nutrients for their growing bodies. fruit is good also but they need other nutrients that fruit can give. also can you post pics maybe we can help you with breed. and
welcome-byc.gif

giving them time to play in water daily will get them to preening and help to get the oil gland stimulated so they can water proof them selves.

Last edited:
They look very skinny, as i may say...
Are they eating from the grain?
They are very cute though. They look a bit Muscovy to me, not sure...
I think with enough TLC they will become beautiful!
I think they are now 6/7 weeks...

Good thing they have you now..:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom