help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by soccerpudge, Aug 16, 2013.

1. soccerpudge

soccerpudge New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Hello all! i hope you can all enlighten me on the gestation period of a white pecan? i have only had them 5 months and i have no idea what they lay them in, what i have to do, or what age they start at. help please?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Most ducks start laying at 5-6 months of age. Laying-type breeds such as Runners and Campbells will often begin sooner, while meat-type breeds such as Pekins and Rouens will start later. Your ducks should be starting to lay soon.

Ducks can be trained to use nest boxes like chickens, but they will also lay without a special place to lay.

If incubated, fertile duck eggs will hatch in 28 days.

3. soccerpudge

soccerpudge New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    thankyou very much! what do i need to do. i am young and ignorant of how to care for them. you have said they ight not have a specialized place to lay, but what is the significance of an incubator?what is it exactly?

4. soccerpudge

soccerpudge New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    also,is the behavior of a duck that is about to lay an egg?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    An incubator is when you take the fertile eggs and place them inside the bator for incubation just like the mama duck would do but your doing it instead, it comes with instruction on how to use it for temps/humidity.

When my ducks are getting close to laying seems like they go into the duck house more often sometimes I see them in there laying on the floor and if another duck is laying and egg it's like they are watching. But it's mostly instinct the going into the houses is learned behavior by watching the other ducks. My ducks don't have nesting boxes they just make in indention in the shaving and lay their egg. Be sure to give them nice fluffy pine shavings for laying. inside their house where they will feel safe and private. [​IMG]Here's one type of incubator https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. soccerpudge

soccerpudge New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    if i have the mother duck here in the coop, do i have to own the incubator?or is it only for orphaned ducklings? thank [​IMG]you so much! you other cleared things up a lot!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't have an incubator I have Muscovy ducks will to sit for me, some breeds are not good brooders so folks will buy an incubator to hatch out eggs. others just like to hatch period. I prefer to let the duck do it and raise them. so no you do not have to have a bator. Now will your duck brood her eggs? you'll just have to wait and see on that one. Hopefully she will but it maybe next spring before she does. What you'll have to do is let her collect a clutch of eggs[ in other words don't collect the eggs daily, let her lay as many as she wants then if she goes broody [which means she'll start staying on the nest to keep the eggs warm. once she is sitting on the eggs day and night only to get up to eat drink bath and poop then you start your count down of 28 days. Do you have a drake with your Pekin? if not she won't lay fertile eggs.

8. wafflechicken

wafflechicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    Wait, Muscovys aren't an incubator? Then what's an incubator?!

I've been doing this all wrong...

(seriously, though, yeah if you have a breed that will go broody and a drake to fertiilze probably easier to just see if they'll take over for you and not bother with an incubator. Hence my comment on scovies. They will sit egg-shaped rocks if you let them so I use them to hatch out everything.)

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh my gosh yes they are what was I thinking, and mine want to run continually. I think mine would hatch snake eggs. I hope they never see egg shaped rocks cause they'll be on them too [​IMG]

10. wafflechicken

wafflechicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    It's not the hatching of the snakes that's the problem, it's when she mothers them and raises them up that it gets truly disturbing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by