Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by emilmc7, Aug 17, 2013.

1. emilmc7

emilmc7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Hi my name is emma and this is my first time on Backyard Chicken as a member. I need a little advice on three of my chicken eggs. We realized they were hatching this morning. But after a couple of hours they have not made much progress. One has cracked the egg, but seems to have given up. The other two have broken through the shell, but not the membrane. Should i help or let them do it on their own. I read a couple of articles on how to help, but do not want to risk doing it wrong. Also what to do with a lonely 2 day old chick? Please respond.

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum - you may want to post this question on the section about incubating and hatching. I have heard it is not good to help the chicks. It is hard not to. I think I would probably try to help but I have only had broodies hatch eggs.

Caroline

3. emilmc7

Aug 17, 2013
    thanks i will give it some more time

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Leave the bator closed it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for them to fully hatch out..

Look for the thread hatching eggs 101.. Good thread to read up on.

5. emilmc7

Aug 17, 2013
    thanks i will go read through that

6. emilmc7

Aug 17, 2013
    one of the eggs hatched without help, now we are just waiting on one. it keeps sticking sticking it's beak out but won't get aggrestive with it

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Hatching is a very exhaustive process for chicks, they are all cramped up in the egg and rest a lot in between. The early chick should be kept warm somewhere and offered water and starter food. You could also give him a stuffed toy to cuddle with till he has some other chicks to share a brooder. Otherwise don't open the incubator because it will lose humidity and the chicks could end up 'shrink wrapped,' not a good thing at all.

8. emilmc7

Aug 17, 2013
    thanks we gave him a stuffed toy and he snuggles up beside it, now the second one is hatched and we are waiting on the third. Thanks![​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you, I love to hear good new !!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by