1. marissa9

marissa9 New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    i dont really understand something do i need a separate spot for them to live and sleep and another one for them to run around? and what should both of them look like and what sizes?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well first you need a chicken coop or tractor big or small depending on the size of your flock. You can either let your chickens free range or live in an enclosure (actually there are other ways to house them but I think that these two are more humane).

Here's an example ( pictures are not mine):
    [​IMG]
    This is a coop with the enclosure covered from top to side.
    [​IMG]
    This kind of coop that does not include a fenced area it can be for free ranging, you can build a fence if free ranging does not work for you.

[​IMG]
    Chicken coop with a fence

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. marissa9

marissa9 New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

this is a dog pen that we used but not anymore if i cleaned it out but beading down and a roof and fixed uo the walls does anyone think that this would work fine for a chicken? :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You might look at the coops in the section where folks display and discuss their coops. There are all sorts of coops, made from all manner of things: cattle panels, pallets, hay bales. There are many ideas on how to modify these things to address the minimal needs of chickens: food, water, and shelter.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by