1. angcurdy

angcurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Carriere, MS
    Eyes swollen shut on 2 month old chickens. Foul smell as well. Seemed to be slow moving Hanging out under the light also.

We quarantined two just like that and one with runny looking eyes n

Any advice?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds as though you may have a respiratory disease. A bad smell sounds like it could be coryza, but mycoplasma can also cause the swollen eyes. Of course you can't be sure unless your local agricultural agent takes a swab or culture. An antibiotic such as Tylan soluble powder or Tylan 50 injection would work for treatment, but if it is coryza, sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox or Albon would be the drug of choice. Here is a list of respiratory diseases and treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. angcurdy

angcurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Carriere, MS
    My nephews had the bad smell. He had 3 sick and has lost one. He is going them tylan IM. They have a fluid collection in their chest, so we may have caught it too late

My rooster just had one bad eye. No other symptoms. Eating and drinking. I have given him two doses of tylan and his eye is open and looking good. Still no other symptoms

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If they have the bad smell, that may be coryza, and sulfadimethoxine is a better drug for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by