HELP!!!

lovethepeep

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
I just got my chicks in today (shipped yesterday from mypetchicken)... 6 out of the 7 are lively, but one is acting sickly... just watching her, she seems like she's falling asleep standing. Should I assume she's tired or start planning a funeral service
sad.png
? Is there anything I can do???

Last edited:
lol.png
ok
lol.png
I see they are all falling asleep standing now... I guess she's ok
smile.png
sorry, this is my first time raising these little ladies
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

It's ok. We all get nervous sometimes..even with experience. Double check the brooder temp to make sure it's the right temp (around 95F for day olds). Also check all of their bums to make sure they are not pasty. Have fresh tepid water and food and you're set. Good luck with your new chicks.

Jody

For the first day (I got my first-ever chicks last Thursday morning) I kept petting and picking up the poor little guys when they fell asleep to make sure they were still alive. Poor chicks couldn't catch a good nap with me around. Anyway, I know how you feel! Having sweet little helpless things under our care turns us all into mama hens, I guess... always worrying and fretting over them!

I have probably walked out there 20 times already! our thermometer says about 95, and the chicks seem to be fine not grouping up under the lamp, and not staying far in the corners either...
they really are adorable!

I don't have any grit for them. I also didn't get medicated feed, just regular. When my husband goes by the tractor supply what should I tell him to get? some kind of drops?? and just regular 'ol chick grit to mix in with thier feed?

Quote:
They don't need the grit until they are eating other solid foods besides their chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom