1. lillychick

lillychick Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    Hi I have a problem and I don't know what to do. My chicken rosie is sick I'm on my 3rd vet and still not sure whats wrong. It started about 3 weeks ago. I have 2 Isa Browns Ruby and Rosie. We noticed Rosie was limping . they both free range in a modest backyard in nsw Australia. Well when we noticed she was limping we checked her out. Nothing obvious. By the 3rd day she still limping so I took her to vet no 1. He had a look could not see anything but gave he injection for muscle. He said should see improvement in 24hrs.well we didn't so after a few days I took her to vet no2. He was very nice checked her out said she was skinny thought it might be worms. Although I do worm them we started with this. Still no better at this stage I notice she not moving much just sitting she was eating and drinking. I took her back as she hadn't improved. By this time she had lost more weight and still limping. We put her on antibiotics. He also gave me a contact of a vet that specializes in birds. So on Monday Rosie was getting worse and when she tried to stand she would fall we went to vet no 3. She has gone from weighing 1.8kgh to 1.6kg. They checked her out and again could not find anything she even managed to walk. They sent me away with more antibiotics some anti inflammatory and some food mixture try and get her to put on weight. She stayed in side and I have nursed her she just enjoy s having cuddles and falls asleep. So what next. She is not putting on weight and she is still limping. She just walks a little then sits down. Ruby is very good and keeps her company. She doesn't seem in pain but is getting very thin. I just don't known what to do and getting very upset just watching her waste away any suggestions or advice will be most welcome

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I am very sorry you're having such trouble with your hen, I know how distressing it can be, especially when several vets can't seem to determine what the problem is. But vets typically don't treat chickens regularly, and so may not know what they're seeing.

Now, I am not a vet, and am not saying I know more than one (my daughter would kill me if I did, she's a pre-vet student in college.)

But, from what you are describing, it sounds to me as if your hen may be dealing with Marek's Disease.

How old is Rosie? Is she less than a year old?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I agree . I'm so very very sorry to say what your describing sounds like Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated for Mareks as a baby? The limping and wasting are very typical mareks symptoms. I'm also very sorry to say antibotics will not cure mareks. If she does have mareks other flock members have been exposed making them carriers. They themselves may never get ill but CAN infect other poultry brought on to your property. If in fact it is mareks. Mareks causes tumors inside the bird and these tumors can sit on nerves causing limping and paralysis. Mareks is like a chicken cancer. They're are a lot of very very knowledgeable folks on this forum who are dealing with and managing mareks now. I would do a search on mareks disease and read as much as possible because knowledge is power and can help you understand this disease. If its possible through blood work have your vet test her for mareks disease. This way you will know for certain and can proceed from there. Mareks is a HIGHLY contagious air borne disease it can travel miles in the wind and is everywhere. I hope this helps and wish you The best.

4. lillychick

May 21, 2012
    Thanks I'm sitting her at 4th as I cannot sleep worrying about her she is 2yrs old. Ruby is fit and healthy. Should I keep Rosie away from her I will do some research and get the vet to do blood test they want to do X ray next ($400.00)and although it's not the money would this help would it detect mareks disease. Can it be cured. I have had my 2 girls since they were 5 months and they have changed my life. Didn't think I could get so attached to a hen but they are so funny and very entertaining I will update you

5. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I do not think an xray would be able to diagnose Marek's Disease. I personally would not incur such an expense for a hen, even a beloved one.

Marek's can be dealt with, in some cases, but I am reluctant to say it can actually be cured. The thing about Marek's Disease is, it's everywhere. Literally everywhere. People go to the feed store with their poopy boots, and they track it into the feed store. Or Wal-Mart, or the hardware store. So you're going to run into it sooner or later if you breed or own poultry.

I do know someone posted in the BYC recently about curing a hen with Marek's using St. John's Wort. I am not familiar with that cure, generally the few times we have a bird with Marek's we put it down humanely.

But I encourage you to read through this thread and see if this route might help you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort

I personally feel homeopathic remedies work very well on chickens, so it's worth a try!

Best of luck.

Laura

6. lillychick

May 21, 2012
    Yes I have just been reading about St John wart and I'm thinking there is no harm in trying . I have rosie on my lap as type and will do what I can for her without too much suffering.

1 person likes this.
  7. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I hope it all works out for you and her! Let us know how she does...

8. lillychick

May 21, 2012
    Will do and thanks again for your help

9. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Let us know if you need a good source for homeopathic remedies. I've been using homeopathy for almost 20 years now, and find it works really well on humans as well as animals.

10. lillychick

May 21, 2012
    Just to update you rosie has been on St Johns wart and is on th the road to recovery . thanks for your help she is getting back to her normal self just need her to gain weight now she has started to use her feet again for digging and is a lot more responsive . I knew she was a lille fighter so proud of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by