1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. eekitsriah

eekitsriah New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    I Have A Chick That's 3-4 Months Old. Today I Found It With Blood In It's Mouth And On Beak. He Was Standing In The Snow When I Found Him. I Took Him Inside, Put Warm Water On His Feet To Unfreeze Them, Washed Off The Blood, Tried To Give Him Water And Corn And Warm Him Up. What Else Can I Do?! HeIs In A Cage With Towels And Food And Water. He Is Just Laying There. Eyes Are Closed. He Keeps Gasping For Air I Think.. Moving His Head Up And Opening His Beak. What Can I Do???

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Just keep the bird warm and comfortable. My concern is that it could be Laryngotracheitis. It is a viral disease which causes difficulty in breathing, gasping for air, coughing with bloody mucous. Sometimes birds caw like a crow attempting to breathe. I would suggest feeding the bird, but what is the source of the blood? is it being coughed up? if the bird doesn't make it, I'd suggest taking the bird to a lab to be tested for LT (Laryngotracheitis). There is a vaccination for it and it cannot survive exposure to disinfectant. Here is a list of labs by State: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf

If you think it may be LT, ask the local lab about testing for it. Here is some more information about LT: http://www.avianweb.com/laryngotracheitis.html

3. eekitsriah

eekitsriah New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    does It Appear In A Day Or Two? I Wasn't Here To Feed Birds Yesterday, But When I Went Outside Today, He Was There. No Signs Before Today And I'm Pretty Sure Yesterday Too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by