1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. new2chikies

new2chikies New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Saugus, Ca
    Hello. We are new to chickens and so excited to have finally started on our journey of raising them. We got two last night. One is the liveliest little thing ever and eats and drinks like a champ. Our other baby is sick and I think she's dying. Her eyes are closed, wings are dropped and she's opening her mouth and struggling with every breath. We just don't know what to do. We are cuddling with her to calm her down but what else can be done. Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Have you tried to dip your chick's beak into water? You can add a little sugar, or use Gatorade or Pedialyte to add some electrolytes. Were these chicks hatched at home, or were they shipped? Is there anyway you can get a couple more chicks. It is very stressful to be an only chick. It sounds like you could lose the other chick. Keep it warm enough--90 degrees F out of drafts the first week, then decrease the temp 5 degrees a week, and keep trying to make it drink. Eating is important by the 3rd day, but some chicks will not make it. I hope you can help your chick.

3. new2chikies

new2chikies New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Saugus, Ca
    Hi.. Thank you for replying. I think I really screwed up. My daughters were so excited to get the chicks that we went to get them where conditions didn't look optimal. But.. My girls were holding them and looked totally in love, so we ended up buying them. We had originally planned on by them from a reputable local free range farm. I did dip it's beak in the water and she seems to be doing a bit better, but definitely not "well". I bought some probiotic- electrolyte tablets to add to their water, so hopefully that will help. I also listened to her heart beat which is MUCH slower than our other chicks. Do you know if that would be considered normal? Now… I found a HUGE what seems to be a tumor on the other chicks neck. I know that can't be normal. I'm just so saddened that someone could sell sick chicks, if that was the case. Any advice on the tumor?

Should I separate the two? Keep them together?

Thank you :(

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old are the chicks? Clean the tumor looking bump,make sure it is not an infection or something embedded in the skin. Do not worry about heartbeat as it could mean something then again it could mean nothing,all you can do it wait and see,most probably cause is b/c she is inactive/not feeling well so heartbeat is slower. Keep encouraging them to eat/drink. Make sure they are kept warm.

Pay attention to how they act in the next week or so,as coccidiosis is the leading cause of deaths in chicks and can kill very fast. If you are not familiar with coccidiosis look up the information,it might be a good idea to keep some Amprolium on hand. May either be called Corid(amprolium)or Amprol(amprolium). Some symptoms of cocidiosis are : runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,general look of unwell.

5. new2chikies

new2chikies New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Saugus, Ca
    Thank you. I will keep an eye on them both. I really help they both pull through. I am still scheduled to pick up an additional 3 chicks from the other farm. Do you think I should keep the separated or would it be safe to introduce them all? The ones we have now are about 5-6 days old. The new ones will be new hatchlings. Sorry for so many questions and thank you for taking the time to be so helpful.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would keep them separate for the time being. Make sure they are kept warm,have easy access to feed/water containers. If you are giving them anything besides chick feed,they need grit. Watch for pasty butt as this also can kill chicks if left untreated.

7. new2chikies

new2chikies New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Saugus, Ca
    The one that had the breathing problems just passed away :(

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the "tumor" on the upper right side of the chest, just under the neck? It could be the crop, and they can look very big after the chick has eaten. They can also get impacted if the chick eats pine shavings or food other than chick feed without getting grit. A picture might help. On getting the other chicks, I might wait, to make sure these 2 are healthy and make it. However, the healthier chick would need a friend or two. I would be cautious getting chickens from different sources. If you buy healthy chicks from a hatchery, you can pay a little extra and get the Mareks and coccidiosis vaccine. Those are the two biggest diseases that can kill chicks, although you can also pick up respiratory diseases from buying chicks from backyard breeders and farmers also.

9. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Sorry to hear your little one did not make it. Sometimes they are born weak and no matter what we do,they are not strong enough to survive.

Your remaining little one is going to be lonely,do you have a child proof stuffed animal that you can place in with her? This often helps to keep them warm and for company.

10. BigSoftee

BigSoftee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Pfafftown, NC
    when you do get your new ones, be careful what bedding you put them on; for the first week or so we usually use newspaper or feed bags - stay away from shavings until after a few weeks. You gave it your best, sometimes nature wins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by