1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Darren911, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Darren911

Darren911 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Hi All, I am brand new and a very novice, I have just got 2 'laying hens' and one seems to constantly pick on the other, The pen is quite small (about 3m x 2m) at the moment but is due to be extended which according to the instructions accommodates 6-8 chickens but my wife says they need more space. I don't know if they came from the same brood but is it normal to arrange the 'pecking order' so vigarously early doors, i think they are about 8 months. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! P.S. I have had 2 eggs on the first day today

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. tootsieroll1301

tootsieroll1301 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    Arendelle
    Hi! welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us. Sorry I don't have any advise. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

Chickens do pick on each other if they feel cramped in. So you need to provide as much space as you can. Give them things to do in their run such as hanging veggies, cabbages, pecking seed blocks, etc...so they have something other to do than pick on each other. Get them out to free range if you can for the entertainment. Give them an over all exam to look for any health issues they might be having as ill birds can become aggressive, and sick birds can get picked on. Make sure this picked on bird has access to the feed and water as many times the more aggressive bird will prevent the other from getting food or water. If you have tried everything you can to solve this issue, you might consider rehoming or sending the aggressive bird to the stew pot. Keep the gentler bird.

Good luck with your birds and it is great to have you aboard!

5. Darren911

Darren911 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks for the advice, I have heard that hanging apples and veg helps but its nice to confirm from someone who knows. Thank you again.

6. Darren911

Darren911 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Thank you for a warm welcome

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]