Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmathis11, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mmathis11

mmathis11 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    I live in Illinois an i have 8 chicks. When can i put them in the coop. They are 6 weeks old. An will the other chickens hurt them?

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    You are still having a lot of cold weather in Illinois so I would wait a couple more weeks before putting them in an unheated area.
    I usually don't put young ones in with grownups until around 3 months old but I have a separate coop and yard for young ones. Some people do add them with adults but it's best to have an area for the young ones to escape to if the adults get too rough.[​IMG]

3. mmathis11

mmathis11 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    found an old play pen to keep them.i also am raising them with 2 ducks they are getting along GREAT. they sleep together. They are now outside. The dusks have a small pond to swim in an the chicks seam to stay away from there water an olny drink they contaner water thet is given to them. they all eat the same nonmedicated food. Eating together an sleeping together. I made them a new pen next to the 3yr olds so they can hopfully some day all be together. I am watching them very close to make sure they dont get sick from being with the ducks i hard they could get a mud infection. All is well. Ducks will start laying in 3 weeks so i am working on there nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by