help!

plumbum

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Help please I have a year old isa Brown hen. She is very ill. I have doagnosed her with egg bind. She hasnt had a bowl movement in 10 hours. What do I do?

Bring her inside and fill a tub with warm water, enough to cover her bottom and let her soak for about 30 minutes. It helps them relax and hopefully she will pass the egg.
Just hold on to her, they do like the warm water. Hope it helps.

Thank you. I sat her in warm water for half an hour dired her off. She did pass a little bowl. So now im beginning to wonder is I have mis diagnosed

You can take a rubber glove and examine her internally 1-2 inches to feel for an egg. If you feel an egg, give her some calcium in the form of a calcium tablet, Tums, or liquid calcium by mouth. Calcium and a warm bath can relax the muscles to pass an egg. Has she been wormed, or have you added any new chickens lately? How does her crop feel? Is she interested in eating? Has she been laying? ISA browns can lay gigantic eggs and double yolkers, so the egg binding might be a good guess.

I gave her a warm bath. I did get two 6 month old golden comets 6days ago, only been running with the flock for 3. Her crop is enlarged but not solid. No noticeable foul oder. She was interested in eating but I pulled the food in fear of gorging her because sh hasnt drank much. And as far as laying I cant know exactly.

If you determine she is not egg bound, the new hens could have possibly brought in a new strain of cocci that she may not be immune to. Corid or amprollium would be the treatment for that for 5 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. Watch for any symptoms of respiratory disease with new chickens being added.

Last edited:
I am feeding my flock of now 8. 2 one year old black sex links, 2 California leghorn, one is brown and the two new golden comet. I am feeding thw qhole flock an antibiotic in their water. ...

New chickens ought to be quarantined for 30-45 days in case they are carriers of respiratory or other diseases. Are you feeding antibiotic to prevent disease, and what is it? Sulfadimethoxine will treat cocci also, in case you are giving that. Please do the vent internal exam for egg binding--if there is no egg, you can focus on other causes for her illness. Most often an egg bound chicken can die in 2 days.

You can take a rubber glove and examine her internally 1-2 inches to feel for an egg. If you feel an egg, give her some calcium in the form of a calcium tablet, Tums, or liquid calcium by mouth. Calcium and a warm bath can relax the muscles to pass an egg. Has she been wormed, or have you added any new chickens lately? How does her crop feel? Is she interested in eating? Has she been laying? ISA browns can lay gigantic eggs and double yolkers, so the egg binding might be a good guess.

I just noticed one of my pullets straining/penguin walk/clear liquid out of vent. Getting ready to bring her in and let her soak in an epsom bath. Will check for an egg when I bring her in - I know she laid an egg a couple of days ago as we had 10 eggs from 10 hens. My question - if she is egg bound, how much of a calcium tablet should I give her and how? Crushed mixed with water? Is it possible to overdose? If not, I may give the calcium whether or not I feel an egg. My first non-marek's illness, so this is a learning experience for me.

Molly is a 6 month old black austrolorp, laying for a month or two. They don't get many treats. Layer feed always available. Oyster shells are available - although I need to check that they haven't run out.

Thanks!
E

Back
Top Bottom