HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by redrooster99, Jul 25, 2014.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Okay so i bought 25 quail from an auction and i was doing an inspection on them when i found a thing on a lot of thems foot pad that looks like bumblefoot ,but it isnt swollen ,or red ,and they arent limping ,also all the quail have barebacks even the males but they have feathers growing back ,some have scratches but they are healing over and nobody is picking at them so what do i do.

2. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    o and in my pen they are on hay.

3. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    please help this bothering me

4. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    It sounds to me like they were kept with chickens before they were sold. Do they seem to be in pain?

5. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Can't tell without a pic but they can get calluses on their feet, as well as get bumble foot. If they were on wire a lot it may be calluses.

If they are picking on each others' feathers they may have been on a diet too low in protein or just too crowded in their former living conditions. Give them a diet with at least 26% protein and spacious cages with places to hide from each other if they need to. Just placing some baskets, boxes or sprigs of greenery in their cage can give their minds and bodies time to rest. Don't forget a sand/dirt bath several times a week to keep them happy and feathers healthy.

1 person likes this.
  6. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    no they dont seem in pain one is a little slugish but i think she is one that jumped out of my hands. in fact the cocks still crow and i got one egg today and i got them last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by