HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ButtaCup, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ButtaCup

ButtaCup In the Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Ok everyone on BYC has always been very helpful and I am hoping you all might be able to come through for me again.
    When I got home from work today I discovered all but six of my daughter's birds dead from a stray dog getting into our gate. I am hoping someone out there might be able to tell me where we can get some East Indie ducks. My daughter is 3 weeks away from county fair and she has lost all of her show birds except for two geese and one Muscovy duck, but the East Indies were her favorites. With show season approaching I am hoping someone can help us.

Thanks

2. Rosewarrior

Rosewarrior In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2011
    I am so very sorry for your loss!
    I had a fox kill my couple a few year ago.
    I always wanted to show my ducks, but they were never quite the right temperament.

If the dog dug under your fence you need to dig about 1 foot under the fence and add fencing under the ground, so the dog can't get in again.
    He knows they're there. Keep your birds inside, or keep a very close eye on them.

I hope this helps any.

Again, I'm very sorry for you and your families loss.

3. ButtaCup

ButtaCup In the Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Thanks. We had storms today and the flooding lifted the gate and opened it. We let all the birds out during the day, but I guess we should have left them locked up during the rain. I haven't even told my daughter yet, she is at a friend's birthday right now and I didn't want to ruin her night. Some of her East Indies were the first birds she got 5 years ago and she is very attached to that first pair, Gunner and Ladybug. I appreciate the thoughts.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear that. I believe Holderreads has East Indies, but you have to have them shipped. They're good stock from what I've heard with high quality birds.

5. ButtaCup

ButtaCup In the Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Thank you very much. I will contact them tomorrow morning. I am very grateful for the info. I have even contacted several show judges and they weren't even sure where to go. Due to the strange weather this year every one is having trouble getting good hatches. My daughter has been crying since she got home, hopefully this will cheer her a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by