Help!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Boldpastel, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Boldpastel

Boldpastel Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    I have two pilgrim geese, 4 months old and hand raised. The gander is having horrible diarrhea but is acting normally. The 'left overs' are very watery, brown/yellow with white... I just cant figure out whats wrong! I know diseases can move quickly in birds, so i need to move faster than it! I noticed him having this about 3-4 days ago, it got better yesterday but now it's even worse. Tomorrow i'm getting de-wormer for both geese.
    Advice? These are my first geese so i am inexperienced.
    Thank you in advanced.

2. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Songster

Fine to worm him to start with, especially as he´s acting normally, but what are you feeding him? Then we can start to make suggestions.

3. Boldpastel

Boldpastel Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    I recently switched them from their baby food (green purina bag) a few days in between i had to give cracked corn because the store didn't have anything more suitable but i am now feeding a local brand, it is an all purpose but suits their needs, it was recommended by someone else who owned geese. The diarrhea occurred before the new food (cracked corn was a problem?)
    They are free range and get lots of grass, brown and green. They have access to a pond too. The female is healthy though and she eats the same things as him.
    It is really hot right now, reaching the hundreds in the afternoon, can this be a part of the problem?
    Thank you!
    Any recommendations on dewormer? I'm doing my research online but still good to get a couple more suggestions.

4. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Songster

Dewormer I can´t say, as I don´t know the products you have there, but the rest of what you say sounds good. Cracked corn shouldn´t be a problem either. Maybe he just ate something or other that´s given him the runs. I assume they must be getting enough grit...is the soil there gritty, stoney? Grit and tiny gravel helps them to grind their food, it´s a necessity. And worm them, ...see how it goes. Another thing that a lot of people do is add a little Apple Cider Vinegar to their water, it helps them against lots of little pesky probs.

5. Boldpastel

Boldpastel Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    Thank you, good advice. I got Strike lll poultry dewormer, it goes in their food and i also got a couple packets of probiotic, its for chicks but it says it can be used for adults too.
    I will feed the dewormer first and start adding the probiotic in a day or so, i don't want to dump a lot of medicine on them in one day. Also going to bleach the goose house and water/food containers, obviously will rinse well before they can use that stuff again.
    Hopefully he'll just start pooping normally and nothing bad happens, fingers crossed.
    How much do geese tend to shed their feathers? They shed theirs a bit. I think its just because it's hot. He isn't ruffled though, his feathers are so flat that it's hard to see them. The female tends to be a little puffy but she acts normally too and has healthy and plentiful leftovers. I am a worry wart :) sometimes animals just get a little bug and it goes away but i am inexperienced with these animals and wont leave anything to chance.
    Thank you for the help!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Where you buy your wormer and what is in it if you don't mind me asking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by