1. madgelaine

madgelaine New Egg

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    Ihave a large flock of mixed breed chickens. About 3 mos ago one girl lost the use of one leg. Since then approx once every 2 wks i find another lady with the same condition. I keep very clean coops. And it only seems 2 affect my red and buff girls. What the heck is this. They are otherwisw healthy. Eat drink and lay as normal but after a few weeks hobbling on one leg they die.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are the ones that have been dying? Where did you get them from? Have you checked the legs/feet of the affected ones for swelling, black scabs, discoloration, or injury? I'm sorry for all of the questions, but answering them might help me figure out what is wrong.

If your hens are under a year of age, then I would suspect Marek's disease. That untreatable disease is present everywhere, and usually affects unvaccinated birds under a year old. If not Marek's, it is possible that your birds are getting their legs injured by something, and possibly dying due to infection/difficulty getting enough to eat. Is there anything sharp in or near your coop that they could all be injuring themselves on? Do you have any particularly exuberant roosters that might be injuring the hens during mating or courtship?

3. luvmichx

luvmichx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Cabazon, CA
    Sounds like a vitamin deficiency to me...go to Walgreens/Wal-Mart, etc and buy Poly-Vi-Sol without Iron and put 2 full droppers into one gallon of water along with 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar and make this their drinking water. I had the same problem with one of my chicks and now you can't tell she ever had a problem with her leg...it's worth a try...

4. madgelaine

madgelaine New Egg

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    No injuries, yes they are under a year but if its mareks why wouldnt it affect others ive always recieved all my chicks from the same place

5. madgelaine

madgelaine New Egg

Jul 6, 2014
    United States
    I will try the vitamins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by