Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lenz48, Aug 3, 2014.

1. lenz48

lenz48 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    I had a chick that had trouble hatching. The other hatched yesterday.. This one hatched today around 10 am. It's having trouble walking and won't pick it's head up! Can anybody help?

2. lenz48

Apr 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How is it doing now, since its been some time since you posted?

For what its worth, that's what many of my chicks look like after they hatch. They usually rest for a while and stumble around like they're drunk.
    I'd imagine hatching is hard work! Anyway, I hope its perked up by now. Good luck :)

4. lenz48

Apr 12, 2014
    Thank you! This is the first time I've ever hatched. It's walking a little better. It's just having trouble bearing weight on one side.

5. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    HELP one of my family members turned my incubator off. I think it has been off for an hour. I AM DISTRAUGHT IT IS LOCKDOWN DAY AND NOW THIS!!! I have put it back on even though the eggs were cold. I suppose they will be dead.... Sad!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They'll probably be fine. Our power was out for almost 6 hours last week, and my eggs seem to be progressing normally despite the low temps during that time. I've also seen my brooding hens up taking breaks when their eggs had already pipped and they hatched no problem.

They should be okay, they might just hatch a teensy bit later is all. Good luck [​IMG]

7. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks howfunkyisurchicken. Ok so they have started. One is out, one died pipping, more starting. Even one is something!!! Hope he can take all the hugs is all[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. lenz48

Apr 12, 2014
    Update: my chick is healthy and strong now! I hope your chicks hatch!

9. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks I only got 3. So it is true what they say about maybe losing 50% due to low temp.
    So glad yours is going well!:)

10. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    My Wyandotte hatched with so much gluey stuff on him, his ey was stuck together. This morning it was filled with pus. So I mad a warm saline solution and bathed it with a cotton bud. HE CAN SEE!!! At first I was thinking he had no viable eye. So relieved for the little guy. He is cute. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by