1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Eleanor Andrew, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Eleanor Andrew

Eleanor Andrew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Dorchester Dorset
    I hav a female jap quail tht attacks my male until he bleeds until he cant open his eyes its the 3rd time this year how can I solve it ?

2. Rashid100

Rashid100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    I would separate her or make a partition in the cage

3. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Get some more Hens and she might calm down.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she injured in any way? Check her over very carefully including her head, legs and the bottoms of her feet. Usually when one hen starts being aggressive towards the roo she has a cut or sore that he is stepping on or injuring in some way.

When you have problems try to remove the aggressor. Unless the victim bird is bleeding in which case remove the victim immediately gamebirds will kill a bleeding bird to ensure that it doesn't get infection or waste their food trying to heal.

Sometimes they also develop cannibalistic habits if they are allowed to peck at blood and remove feathers, your hen may have a bit of this habit but this usually only happens when you let them kill one.

Lastly sometimes some hens are just mean. I gave away 5 for egg production who lost their roo to a raccoon and subsequently murdered two roosters in a row that I tried to integrate with them.

5. Eleanor Andrew

Eleanor Andrew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Dorchester Dorset
    I hav 3 females and 1 male

6. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Separate her but if possible keep next door so can view the other quail and maybe in a week or reintroduce and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by