Help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chyatt24, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Chyatt24

Chyatt24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    I just got my three baby chicks, and we set them up in their habitat. The issue though, is that the light brahma is attacking the smaller silver laced wyandotte! She seemed to be grabbing her head and trying to drag her. We put the light brahma in a separate box for now, but i'm not sure what to do!

2. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    They're only a few days old, under a red light, and I think the temperature is fine, and they have plenty of room to move around and plenty of food and water

3. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    What is that??

4. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    Does anyone know what to do??

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    First, Welcome to BYC! I'm not sure how to help you with your chick problem. You don't say what type of set up they have, maybe they need more room to keep them from picking on each other. Also, you might want to look at a light that isn't red in case the color is causing the one chick to become agitated. Just a guess.

Secondly, there is no such disease as "warped camshaft" that I'm aware of. I see that response has been posted in several threads this morning and I'm not sure why. Didn't want you to be worried about a disease that doesn't exist.

Best of luck!

6. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    Thank you, I looked up the disease but no results came up, so I was very worried. Their habitat is a plastic bin, it's quite large so I don't think its an issue with space. The light brahma is now in a separate cardboard box inside the bin, with food and water. Other info: The slw chirps very loudly at times, much louder than the other two, so I don't know if that's a concern, also the buff orpington and slw are getting along fine, and all the chicks are eating and drinking.

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I have one wyandotte chick and he's been a chirper since day #1. Not sure if that's a breed thing or a roo thing. Mine is now 6 weeks old and definitely a roo. I've only had hens before.

Plastic bins can get very hot for chicks as that heat will sometimes stay down in the bin and there is no air circulation. I'd try moving the heat lamp away or even off for a while to see if that helps. The bin needs to be large enough for chicks to escape the heat if necessary. This spring I let my broody hen hatch out some eggs - of which only one hatched - and I learned that chicks don't need it really hot all the time. The chick was 3 days old and was outside in 75 degree weather. Of course, it would hop under mom when a breeze blew through but I was amazed at how comfortable it seemed in less than 90 degrees, which is what they recommend for a chick in the first week.

Play with the heat lamp and see if that makes a difference in the chirping.

8. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    The heat lamp is only on one side, and that side is about 90 degrees. Then there's a cooler side with the food and water, and it seems like they're okay with the temperature because they were starting to fall asleep.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You really need to stop - it isn't cute, it isn't funny and you are not being at all helpful to the people who are posting legitimate concerns about their birds' health.

1 person likes this.
  10. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    I'm not sure if this theory would even be realistic, but could the brahma be pecking the slw because both the brahma and buff orpington are yellow, and the slw is darker and looks so different? We still have the brahma separated and haven't tried putting her back with the others yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by