1. edwarra

edwarra Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    hello, I have a chicken that has been limping for the past 2 days. I have checked her leg and and there is no visible injury, nothing seems to be broken. She cannot put any weight on the leg. She doesn't seem to be in pain, she is eating, and drinking. Yesterday I put her in a cage inside my house to isolate her I live in Ga and it was 100 yesterday I thought she might get to hot in the carrier, she didn't eat any of the food I left for her. Then I felt bad because she was lonely, the others are not picking on her and still treat her as part of the flock. I put her back outside last night in the coop after it cooled down a bit, I checked about 1/2 hour later and she was outside sitting with the others. I have been putting the vitamin B complex in the water but I do not know if she has been drinking that water. I tried to give her the mixture in a syringe, that didn't work to well. How long should i give her and if it is Mereck's how long until the others show symptoms? Right now they are all fine. Any advice? I am a new chicken mom I have only had them for about 3 months and they were 4 or 5 months when i got them.

Update- i put her in the house with food and water last night. She ate and drank while in the cage. Her poop was very watery this morning, is that because of the B1? I put her in the coop this morning but she has a difficult time standing. I will put her back in the house with food and water this evening.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    With only that symptom in one bird, I'd be more inclined to suspect something like an injury, or maybe a gouty or infected joint. Sometimes if they rest for a week or two, they recover, but sometimes they will limp all their lives. I have one who never recovered. She does NOT like to be separated from the flock, even though they do at times pick on her. She lays like her agemates do.

In the end, though, it's only gueswork. I never could feel an injury or any warmth or swelling, either.

3. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Well, I am no expert, but this is what I did with mine. It's a little hot here, also, so I brought her in. We gave her poly vi sol drops (with NO iron) for vitamins. She was having pain so we gave her a baby aspirin in the morning and evening. After three days, we put her on the roost at night with the others. She is still limping a bit, but we got her through the worst part indoors. I am still watching her closely. The others didn't even notice we put her back in. Also, we put electrolytes in her water from TSC. It worked with our little EE. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The watery stool may be normal because of her drinking a lot of water in the heat. If possible you may want to put her inside the cage near the chickens during the day, so that she can be near them, but force her to rest the leg. She could have either a break or a sprain in the leg. Bruising or swelling along the leg bones may indicate a break. Breaks can be splinted, but I wouldn't splint unless I suspected a break. Two weeks is about minimum rest time for a sprain or a break. Here is a link on splinting a broken leg: http://www.lbah.com/word/fractured-bird-leg/

5. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    thank you all for your help. When do I start to suspect Mereck's? also, she doesnt just limp she cannot put any weight on the leg at all. so should I splint and keep isolated?

6. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    I am using the electrolytes from TSC and i do not think she ate or drank outside yesterday. When I put the water next to her she gulped it down and I gave her a second bowl full for the evening.

7. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Wow. That is a concern. Perhaps some scrambled egg for treats? Ours loved it. I am so unfamiliar Marecks. Hope someone else chimes in. We didn't find a break in our EE's leg but she had her leg lifted most of the time with the toes curled. She only started to put some weight on it after we started with aspirin. Just checked her outside. She finally laid an egg. We didn't splint because we didn't feel a break and thought confining her movements would be the best medicine. It also wasn't swollen or hot. We figured ours had a really bad sprain from jumping off the roost in a hurry.

8. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    Thank you to everyone that tried to help. I couldn't save her and put he down today. RIP peeper[​IMG]

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by